220 gallon new build, new to sumps.

BIGJchar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Cincinnati, Ohio
So I recently acquired a 220 gallon tank it's drilled with 2 overflows (They look like MEGA Overflows, not sure though). I'm going to running cichlids, jaguar, acouple oscars maybe jack d. I'm going to convert an old tank to a sump I'm just curious as to what size tank would be good. I'm currently looking for a 55 gallon and I'm not sure I'm calculating the GPH correct because I'm coming up with around 1800 GPH. Is this correct. I'm a super noob when it comes to sumps, My last tank was only a 75 gallon and I ran a RENA XP3 on that and it did wonderfully. I just want to get this right the first time. TIA!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
So I recently acquired a 220 gallon tank it's drilled with 2 overflows (They look like MEGA Overflows, not sure though). I'm going to running cichlids, jaguar, acouple oscars maybe jack d. I'm going to convert an old tank to a sump I'm just curious as to what size tank would be good. I'm currently looking for a 55 gallon and I'm not sure I'm calculating the GPH correct because I'm coming up with around 1800 GPH. Is this correct. I'm a super noob when it comes to sumps, My last tank was only a 75 gallon and I ran a RENA XP3 on that and it did wonderfully. I just want to get this right the first time. TIA!
My recommendation is to go with the largest sump possible. A 75 gallon or 125 long will fit snugly underneath a 220 depending on your stand configuration.

I recently drilled my 150 and installed a 75 gallon sump(my first sump). I use a single 1.5" full siphon drain, a 1.5" emergency drain, and two 3/4 returns. Really simple setup for the sump. Just filter sock over the drain, bags of bio media, a heater and return pump. I didnt bother with any baffles.

The megaflows i think have single 1" drains and single 3/4" returns in each overflow box. Measure your holes to be sure. I would personally modify your setup to accomodate 1.5" drains but im afraid i don't know enough about your tank to recommend drilling on it.

Another downright necessary feature you should have is an emergency drain. You will be surprised how easily the drains can clog, especially 1" drains.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Didnt address the second half sorry.

Your flow rate will depend on your drain configuration, power of the return pump, and head height of your system.

Youre gonna want a pump that will overperform your goal flow rate, and then use a valve or controller to limit the flow. Many people use 2 pumps for redundancy. I recommend a DC powered pump, as they are quieter, more controllable, and usually more reliable. Lots of people here like jebao DC pumps i think because of their price point. Go for a pump that is at least capable of 2000-3000 gph at 0' head height.

BIGJchar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Cincinnati, Ohio
Didnt address the second half sorry.

Your flow rate will depend on your drain configuration, power of the return pump, and head height of your system.

Youre gonna want a pump that will overperform your goal flow rate, and then use a valve or controller to limit the flow. Many people use 2 pumps for redundancy. I recommend a DC powered pump, as they are quieter, more controllable, and usually more reliable. Lots of people here like jebao DC pumps i think because of their price point. Go for a pump that is at least capable of 2000-3000 gph at 0' head height.

Any idea if the 1800 GPH is the "Ideal" GPH I'm looking to achieve here?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
How does the jebao get power? Is it intended to be hard-wired? I don't see any power cord in the photos.

BIGJchar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Cincinnati, Ohio
How does the jebao get power? Is it intended to be hard-wired? I don't see any power cord in the photos.

I'd post you a link to a youtube video I found but since I'm so new I can't but they're corded. It's just not shown in the pictures.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Thanks buddy. I found the link and I bought the small one for my 125. If it's too small I'll put it on the 75 & buy a bigger one. If that's too small I have a 55 . . . ;)

Reactions: BIGJchar

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
. . . I'm not sure I'm calculating the GPH correct . . .
Be sure that you never are, unless you know every factor up front. That's why the adjustable pump is a blessing. Otherwise you build and test.

If a non-adjustable pump is just too big, split the output and circulate the sump more. That's usually better than throttling the pump down IMO.

BIGJchar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Cincinnati, Ohio
Once
Thanks buddy. I found the link and I bought the small one for my 125. If it's too small I'll put it on the 75 & buy a bigger one. If that's too small I have a 55 . . . ;)

Sweet!, Once I get the tank for my sump I guess I'll just get the 12,000 that should be more than enough. After watching several videos on sumps I think I'm just going to go with a 55 or 75 which ever I can get at a decent price and then I'm going to go with all clear pvc complete with checks and y cleanouts and ball valves. complete with unions and everything. Really going to try to make it a highlight of the build as much as the tank itself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store