220 gallon, two overflows with FX4 filtration

jwb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2019
Setting up a 220 gallon tank with two corner overflows. Dimensions are 72" X 24" X 30" . Filtration will be Fluval FX4 canister on each overflow instead of a sump. Stocking of fish will be large community fish and possibly some cichlids of the less aggressive variety. Has anyone used canister filters plumbed through the overflows like this instead of a sump? My thoughts with this is that the input and output of the cannisters can be controlled with the valves that are available on the filter and in this way the flow rates through the overlfows can be controlled. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
The overflow will draw air in to the canister and make it go on and off all the time to let the air out. Why not just use a sump if the tank is configured for it?

Reactions: Kfactor and Matteus

jwb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2019
Your concern with the air being drawn into the canister is a concern of mine also. I thought with the flow control valves on the filter that I could mitigate that, but I don't know if it will work. I haven't used any FX4s before but I do know it does vent the trapped air according to literature I have read.

Basically, I don't want to use a sump because of evaporation concerns. I have enough humidity issues in my basement as is. I run a dehumidifier to battle it now.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Your concern with the air being drawn into the canister is a concern of mine also. I thought with the flow control valves on the filter that I could mitigate that, but I don't know if it will work. I haven't used any FX4s before but I do know it does vent the trapped air according to literature I have read.

Basically, I don't want to use a sump because of evaporation concerns. I have enough humidity issues in my basement as is. I run a dehumidifier to battle it now.

The valves in and out are just to regulate flow in and out with the help of the motor. It might work but i wouldnt trust it.
Use lids on a sump and it doesnt evaporate that much. I currently have three sumps running and only one evaporates alot due to i dont have a lid on the tank. The other two i hardly notice evaporation on but then i change ****loads of water every week on those two tanks. All in all i change 400L twice a week on one tank and 200L twice a week on the other tank. Thats almost 80% of the volume.

Reactions: Matteus

jwb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2019
I had a sump on my 120g that I made a lid for and it helped with evaporation but it also made it more difficult to service. I will have to give the FX4s a try and see how it works out. I knew it was going to be an experiment/challenge as I have never seen it done before but I'm prepared for that. If the two FX4s don't work out I have other uses for them.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I agree with Tobiassorensen Tobiassorensen . I am currently using fx5 and fx6 on one of my tanks. If anything goes slightly wrong they just shut down and you often have to take them apart to fix a problem. Ie. gunk in the impellor, etc.

Something that you will need to consider is the rate of flow while you are servicing your tank /filters. Sure you can block off one filter while the other is going but how long before it fills up your entire overflow, while you are working on the other one. Do you turn both off at the same time to service?

Honestly I think you are creating more work by trying to do it this way. Sump is much easier to maintain if done properly. Canisters need to be taken apart to maintenance. Sumps can go for quite a while if you keep up on your socks, or floss.

$0.02

jwb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2019
Something that you will need to consider is the rate of flow while you are servicing your tank /filters. Sure you can block off one filter while the other is going but how long before it fills up your entire overflow, while you are working on the other one. Do you turn both off at the same time to service?
Yes. The filters would be serviced at the same time a water change is being done so the water level will be below the overflows.

Reactions: Matteus

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Another vote for a sump here. Properly set up with socks and with a covered sump and tank evaporation isn’t really a concern.

If you’re dead set on running FX4’s (really, a 220 should probably have two FX6’s instead of FX4’s) it’s probably best to just plumb them over the back of the tank. It’s going to be much easier than plumbing them through the overflows.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
After my Sump sprung a leak I put some FX sixes on my tank I put the return in the Overflow and I have the drain in the main tank that way I don't have to deal with that sucking air problem that being said this summer I will be reinstalling my Sump because that is the way to go in my opinion

Reactions: BIGJchar
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store