230 gallon glass tank project

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ive actually watched alot of King of DIYs (Joey) youtube-channel (not just regarding stand builds) and now I kind of regret not doing it his way from the start. What I really cant get my head around is that in Joeys builds the guides really dont support any weight.

A couple of questions:

1. So the real purpose of the guides is to stop the weight-bearing legs from twisting?

2. If were to redo the build as suggested, King of DIY-style, can/should I do it with 6 legs (with guides) instead of the 12 I have now?

3. If I do rebuild, should I skip the 2x4 in the center of the top-part going the lenght of the stand? (see pic) Just use 2x4 supports for the width of the tank?

View attachment 1427073
Yes i think thats a good plan. If you feel like ypu need support in the middle you can always add it in later.

Reactions: TheWolfman

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Ive actually watched alot of King of DIYs (Joey) youtube-channel (not just regarding stand builds) and now I kind of regret not doing it his way from the start. What I really cant get my head around is that in Joeys builds the guides really dont support any weight.

A couple of questions:

1. So the real purpose of the guides is to stop the weight-bearing legs from twisting?

2. If were to redo the build as suggested, King of DIY-style, can/should I do it with 6 legs (with guides) instead of the 12 I have now?

3. If I do rebuild, should I skip the 2x4 in the center of the top-part going the lenght of the stand? (see pic) Just use 2x4 supports for the width of the tank?

View attachment 1427073
The uprights only act as guides for the weight barring beams that hold up the top deck ( the same concept as a header in your house ). They do however keep the stand from twisting left to right. The top and bottom framing that surrounds the 6 legs keep the stand from twisting front to back. I built my stand out of 2x6s but I'm supporting a bit more weight.

It's your call regardless, your stand is going to support the weight no problem the way you designed it. I would just add the triangle supports in the corners.

This is my stand below. I used 2x4 for the bottom to get a little more working room in the sump.
IMG_0341.JPG

_erik_

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
hell
This is my stand below. I used 2x4 for the bottom to get a little more working room in the sump.
Real nice!

I decided to rebuild the stand since it feels safer going with a proven design (first pic below).

Im going to add additional braces in the bottom section. Also, I am thinking about adding extra support; two extra "legs"in the center and one on each side (as in the second pic). Is that a good idea?

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Real nice!

I decided to rebuild the stand since it feels safer going with a proven design (first pic below).

Im going to add additional braces in the bottom section. Also, I am thinking about adding extra support; two extra "legs"in the center and one on each side (as in the second pic). Is that a good idea?

View attachment 1428098

View attachment 1428099
That looks fantastic so far. Good move on the rebuild.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store