240 broken bottom trim

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Hello MFK's, a while back I posted about how I cracked the bottom panel of a completely fine 240 tank. Now the panel have been replaced, but the dude fixing the tank somehow broke the bottom trim on one of the corners and decided to glue it back in place.

The trim lifts the tank by about a couple of centimeters, and it seems to support the tank by the perimeter.
And the tank is on neoprene foam (like the gym ones) if that helps anything.

So, is this something I should worry about? Or should I just fill it? It's killing me I've had it empty for like a year since I got it.

I'll post pics if I can

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8

Here

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
I wouldn't run it and suggest replacing the trim first. If replacement isn't an option, possibly repair it with epoxy to fill the voids and create a level surface or investigate running without the bottom trim.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I'm rather confused.

That is a smooth bend corner, which tends to be acrylic. So do you have a bent glass aquarium, or an acrylic aquarium with a bottom brace? I'm not sure I've seen either...

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I wouldn't run it and suggest replacing the trim first. If replacement isn't an option, possibly repair it with epoxy to fill the voids and create a level surface or investigate running without the bottom trim.
Thanks for taking your time to reply. The tank is an old model that is extinct and I'm very sure I'll not find someone with a spare trim for it. So, how would do about supportting the broken area? Would just shoving pieces of foam give enough support? Or if I did it with epoxy, what should I fill the voids with?
The tank is very heavy, I need at least 4 more people to be able to flip it on the side and remove the trim. Plus the cracked part is adjacent to a wall, so it's okay if it's ugly.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I'm rather confused.

That is a smooth bend corner, which tends to be acrylic. So do you have a bent glass aquarium, or an acrylic aquarium with a bottom brace? I'm not sure I've seen either...
It is a bent glass aquarium, they are common in our market. The front and the sides are one whole piece of bent glass, and the back and bottom are independent pieces. They are Chinese imports but the one in question is an older model with 20mm glass

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Hey guys, I've come up with an ideo.
What if I got a strip of acrylic sheet, heated it up and mold it to the corner, then glue it on the cracked part using 2 part epoxy? Does that sound like a good idea?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store