240g setup and first time sump

Poekin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
Hey there :)

About 4 months ago, I purchased a 240g Tenecor off of craigslist. The deal was pretty sweet, and the footprint of the tank is exactly what I was looking for (8'X2'X2'), but the tank was a little different than the one I wanted to order directly from Tenecor. The price was right though.

The tank was intended to be a reef tank, but the original owner had to move away from his house and never got the tank up and running. I ended up with a basically new tank, but I need some advice for getting the tank suitable for my livestock. I am using the tank to house 12 moba's and a few other Lake Tanganyikan fish.

The tank has 2 overflows, so I will be using a sump for my filtration. Even though I've never set up a sump before, I feel that this is the way to go and it should be a pretty cool learning process. The tank is also drilled for a closed loop water circulation system. The bottom of the tank has a 3" hole in the middle and 2 1.5" holes on either end of the tank. The previous owner also gave me a reeflo dart pump and all of the plumbing to set up the closed loop system. No plumbing was included for the sump because the owner hadn't got that far.

He told me that I would be able to adjust the reeflo pump to allow only minor circulation in the tank, because full force the pump is rated at ~3200gph. I know frontosa are deep water fish and don't really care for much current, so I am considering blocking off the closed loop holes. I'd like to get any opinion's on the best way to do this or if I should stick with the closed loop system and just adjust the current.

I figure once I get the bottom of the tank squared away I can move it on top of the stand that I've already built. The stand isn't skinned/finished yet, but it will be eventually and I'll try to update this thread with pictures. Any help is very appreciated :)

Poekin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
BadOleRoss;4363362; said:
I would set up the sump and use the closed loop for an inline UV.
Thats a good idea. I've never used a UV and I've only seen the Turbotwist model in person. Is there a specific model that would work correctly for me? Would you purchase a smaller pump for that setup and use the dart for the sump?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store