240G with 75 sump, WHY do I still have high nitrates?

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
I have a very strong feeling your just not changing enough water. Either that or dead fish in the tank somewhere.
Over the past 25 years I have always done weekly 50% water changes and had what Id consider to be 90-95% success rate with everything Ive tried to do, especially spawning harder species. I went this big this time to try and not have to maintain that rigorous of a schedule and quite honestly, don't feel I should have to with the stocking, plants and amount of media.

I feel like something is not right, not that my changes aren't enough. I change 50% every 10-20 days as of now...and have had smaller tanks with bigger and messier stock that didn't have 10ppm after 7 days...

Ive even had weeks prior where I couldn't do water changes on a 180 with pikes for 2-3 weeks and still never had more than 40-60ppm nitrates.

Oh, and Ive tried 2 kits so its not the kit. Thanks!

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Your probably correct. You may want to look at eliminating them as well. Any more I'm a big fan of K1 due to the fact they are self cleaning and no waste can accumulate in dark quiet places of the sump. I use a sock before the fluidized chamber and another after to catch the sloughed off dead bacteria. Works really well. That particular sump stays absolutely spotless and my water clarity is spectacular. To help keep the nitrates in check I also run a drip. Being there are rays and other large fish in that system nitrates are a challenge!

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
Your probably correct. You may want to look at eliminating them as well. Any more I'm a big fan of K1 due to the fact they are self cleaning and no waste can accumulate in dark quiet places of the sump. I use a sock before the fluidized chamber and another after to catch the sloughed off dead bacteria. Works really well. That particular sump stays absolutely spotless and my water clarity is spectacular. To help keep the nitrates in check I also run a drip. Being there are rays and other large fish in that system nitrates are a challenge!
Ive been contemplating switching over to K1. What would it be replacing in this sump if I did? All of the media Ive currently got in there? or just that middle chamber of ceramic & songs?

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
i suggest start upping the water changes and get nitrates down. then start testing daily and see what your increase of nitrates are per day. as far as the sump, just don't let crap build up in there. amount of plants is not going to do much. I have WAY more plant mass growing all emersed on the top of my 75g and that grow faster than your submersed plants and still barely put a dent. You also keep talking about the media and how you think you need to do less because of it. wrong again. it just more area for BB to live but doesn't mean you will not have nitrate builds up.

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?...qSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple&

your not understocked either.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Ive been contemplating switching over to K1. What would it be replacing in this sump if I did? All of the media Ive currently got in there? or just that middle chamber of ceramic & songs?
If you were to switch to k1, you would want to set up a chamber designed specifically for it. Once it is fully cycled you can remove all other bio. This of course would need to be done in stages over time. For your stocking you would probably need around 3 cubic feet...roughly 20 or so gallons...so you would want about a 40 gallon chamber. Check out king of diy on YouTube. He's got some good videos on setting them up. philipraposo1982 philipraposo1982 is probably correct, more frequent waterchanges would certainly help, and eliminating any of that decaying detritus from your sump will help too. As far as k1, no one I know has ever regretted making the switch.

Reactions: VRWC

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
If you were to switch to k1, you would want to set up a chamber designed specifically for it. Once it is fully cycled you can remove all other bio. This of course would need to be done in stages over time. For your stocking you would probably need around 3 cubic feet...roughly 20 or so gallons...so you would want about a 40 gallon chamber. Check out king of diy on YouTube. He's got some good videos on setting them up. philipraposo1982 philipraposo1982 is probably correct, more frequent waterchanges would certainly help, and eliminating any of that decaying detritus from your sump will help too. As far as k1, no one I know has ever regretted making the switch.
Roger that. Ive followed Joey forever, thats how long Ive been contemplating it! lol...

Appreciate the info & suggestions.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Man ive been thinking about the same...300 with 100 gal sump overstocked but nitrates hit 40ppm every 3 days. Only feed 3 or 4 times a week. 11 polys and i just moved the pearsei into that tank. Nitrates were high before moving the pearsei in.

Sump is spotless. I have a jebao dct6000 circulating the water and socks are changed 2x per week at the least.

Sorry for the derail but figured i would piggy back off your post

Reactions: VRWC and Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Man ive been thinking about the same...300 with 100 gal sump overstocked but nitrates hit 40ppm every 3 days. Only feed 3 or 4 times a week. 11 polys and i just moved the pearsei into that tank. Nitrates were high before moving the pearsei in.

Sump is spotless. I have a jebao dct6000 circulating the water and socks are changed 2x per week at the least.

Sorry for the derail but figured i would piggy back off your post
You need a drip jaws

Reactions: VRWC
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store