24K Gold Fever!

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
That is a beautiful full helmet GH you have. I regularly import Asian arowana to Canada, have a fair bit of experience importing GH. As an importer I have always gone out of my way to warn people about the instability of GH. I have had long discussions with farm owners about WTT, and how best to do it. What follows is recent advice straight from a well respected breeder:

WTT is a painful process of learning the dynamic of tank environment. Side wall should be non-reflective, wattage depend on grow and shine of scale development, spectrum...8,000k light give almost ideal of the combination spectrum of light. 24 hour tanning give the best result. Wattage should be low for the start. You need to monitor the scale colourization and adjust all variables accordingly. There's no one size fits all technique. Water level should not be over 6 inches.

Here is a thread on a Canadian forum that has some more useful information : http://www.arowanaclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=6605 Inside that thread are links to a couple other threads (both on arowanaclub.ca and arofanatics). WTT is a fascinating subject :)

I hope you can post regular updates of your fish. I really look forward to watching how it develops. It looks absolutely stunning right now. Good luck.
Thanks for your kind comments stratos, esp. given your great experience with these fish. Also as mentioned in an previous post on this thread I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more similar quality fish appearing through your channels as well -- do you import your fish from Malaysia, Singapore or both?

Also appreciate your contribution about WTT, and yes it is fascinating but also quite confusing, esp. as there are quite strong opinions on both sides and related issues (effective/necessary or not, how long to do, type of lighting, etc.). I've been checking out and trying to learn from all sides, but eventually have to make my own decisions, which will likely be kind of somewhere in the middle.

And while I have no doubt the breeder you quote from knows his stuff, it's also kinda more hardcore than I have time for, and frankly am willing to subject my fish to. I want it to look good but it being happier is ever more important and feel that any kind of 24/7 light regimen is just too stressful, though again this is just my personal feeling.

So basically for starters I'll be continuing its WTT after arrival at my house tomorrow, but without tough lighting regimen, and for how long I'm not really sure at this point.

Will start a new thread after fish arrives and gets settled in, seeking feedback or advice about many things, and yes will keep anyone interested updated on the hopeful good development of the fish.

Reactions: Matteus and stratos

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
I import aros from Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia. The quality has really gone up over the years and prices in general have come down. Sometimes really particular qualities in a fish still command extra high prices though. There's a long history to the market and its ups and downs, but that is for another thread. For now, just wishing you the best with your new fish - cheers.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I import aros from Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia. The quality has really gone up over the years and prices in general have come down. Sometimes really particular qualities in a fish still command extra high prices though. There's a long history to the market and its ups and downs, but that is for another thread. For now, just wishing you the best with your new fish - cheers.
I know little about the market compared to yourself but what you say is same as my recent experiences. And most online material is pretty outdated, referencing goldens as being the the most sought after/expensive, but it's actually super reds that are fetching the highest prices on average nowadays, though as you mention there are exceptions.

Thx for best wishes, will do my best! (and hope you will offer some helpful advice/opinion sometimes based on your good experience).

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
To be sure Chris they are a challenging fish to keep -- I lost my first Aro, a $600 11" Gold Xback beauty a couple weeks ago -- tank itself was well covered but I didn't properly protect the top of the internal overflow corner filter in my 375g tank, and she jumped in there while I was away for 2 days on a business trip.

It was (an expensive) learning experience, and at the time I swore never to get another Aro -- fast forward a couple of weeks and here I am again lol, looking for another even higher quality one (and ordering a new, Aro-friendly big tank to keep it in) -- I think this is what's called Arowana Fever and I hope to rise better to the challenge 2nd time around.
Man sorry to hear about the x back

Reactions: islandguy11

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Ha ha Dloks, Chow Mein is a Chinese dish; this fish came with Pad Thai Gai ;) In any case it's arrived safely and is doing very well, will start another thread to intro.
Oh my friend from the East I envy you. You wanna load up a suitcase with some pad thai gai and come visit your best buddy! We have crappy Chinese food but great sushi, no Asian Aro but... you can change that right???

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
no Asian Aro but... you can change that right???
Sorry bro, as part of my probation when 13 yr. old I had to work at Fish & Game for a summer (essentially I was a lake water PH testing slave:) -- anyway I think I signed some paper promising not to violate any wildlife related laws.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Sorry bro, as part of my probation when 13 yr. old I had to work at Fish & Game for a summer (essentially I was a lake water PH testing slave:) -- anyway I think I signed some paper promising not to violate any wildlife related laws.
Friendship terminated

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store