265 gallon stocking advice

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I keep the Tiawan Reef with the pictured Zebra Chilumba as well as Red Zebra, Kenyi, Socolofi,
Trewavasae & Rusty Mbuna. He holds his own. I keep mostly males but do have a few females in the mix.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I can tell you by 10 years of reading posts that they are aggressive. Same as Nyererei. I did try keeping the Nyererei with haps and peacocks...they turned pale. I tried keeping them with mbuna...they turned black. Species tank? Brilliant!

Try an OB peacock for a similar blotchy look. For a Victorian I would try Astatotilapia latifasciata. A little too aggressive for my wimpy haps but they have done well with the borleyi.

Shark75

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2020
I appreciate your advice and experience, DJ. I think I'm going to shy away from the Giant Demasoni for now based on what I'm hearing. I looked up the Astatotilapia latifasciata and its definitely a nice looking fish and the females are interesting as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Shark75

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2020
Figured I would give an update because a lot of times people ask questions and get help and never report back. I have two boxes of fish coming in from two different vendors this Wednesday, one from Dave Schumacher at Dave's Rare Fish and one from Trevor O'Shea at The Wonder of Cichlids. I decided to go with my original stocking plan as it relates to the mbuna. I ordered 8 Pseudotropheus sp Acei yellow tail and 10 Metriaclima sp Dolphin Manda. I love the way they look and hope they arent as skittish as has been reported. If they are and it frustrates me I will probably wind up putting them in a species only tank. I also am getting a bunch of haps and peacocks, all males. Here's my list:

1x Aulonocara stuartgranti Chilumba
1x Aulonocara baenshi Benga
1× Aulonocara jacobfreibergi Eureka Red
1x Protomelas Spilonotus Tanzania
1x Protomelas steveni taiwan
1x Otopharynx lithobates Zimbabwe Rocks
1x Otopharynx tetrastigma
1x Placidochromis milomo
1x Xystichromis sp. Flameback
1x Copadichromis trewavasae Likoma

My plan is to quarantine the haps and peacocks for 2-3 weeks. When they are ready to go into the 265, I will remove all the Yellow Labs and the Dimidiochromis compressiceps. I will let the new haps and peacocks establish themselves for about a month. In that time, I'm hoping the juvenile Acei and Dolphin Manda will put on a little size and I will introduce them. Lastly, I plan to add the Dimidiochromis compressiceps and I'm thinking maybe 5 male Yellow Labs. I really dont want a tank full of yellow labs again. Does this plan seem reasonable? I will keep updating as things progress. Thanks to all who have responded previously.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store