3-D background

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Do many of you have 3D backgrounds? I've been looking at some and they look really nice but I'd like to get some reviews from y'all with first hand experience. They aren't cheap so I'd hate to get one and not like it at all.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had a Designs by Nature (something like that) years ago. It looked great, but because of how far it protruded in the tank, It took up nearly a quarter of the space in a 150 gal tank.
It was also very buoyant, and because the back wasn't even, it would not adhere flush, so i had a hard time sticking it to the back glass, and allowed spaces for fish to go, hide and die, and for detritus to build up. I finally shaved off about 4 " all over to get it flush and provide a flat background to adhere.
I finally got rid of it, and the tank.
If I were to do one again, I'd get a very thin type, with just enough to cover the back with only an inch or 2 f protrusion.
Also if enough tactile strength silicone isn't used to secure and allowed to dry, it it will fly out of the tank like a breaching whale.
When it was first installed.

still dry, after shaving a lot of excess material

Reactions: Texas321

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I have one in my 125 from universal rocks. I bought the slim version so mine doesn't take up much space. Im really satisfied with it. I just recently bought some of their fake rocks to match.

Forgot to mention, I'm not using any silicon to hold it, just sand and the little clips they send. Hasn't moved in 3 years.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I've had 2 designs by nature and 1 universal rocks and haven't had issues with either of them.

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
That's for the replays. That's my biggest concern is that they take up a ton of space. I wanted the amazon by Aqua-mania. It looks awesome but the tree in the middle seems to come all the way out.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I have one in my 125 from universal rocks. I bought the slim version so mine doesn't take up much space. Im really satisfied with it. I just recently bought some of their fake rocks to match.

Forgot to mention, I'm not using any silicon to hold it, just sand and the little clips they send. Hasn't moved in 3 years.
I did that and won't again. I thought it was flush and tight, but when I removed it, I found a ton of waste built up behind the background. I removed the much waste. My nitrates were high, and found the cause. My background bowed after a long time too. Now I can't use it.
I recommend using aquarium sealant.

IMG_3559.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store