3 small platies in a 3 gallon planted tank.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Just a quick question, I have 3 white mickey mouse platies in my 3 gallon (heavily planted) tank. Is this ok?
I got them today, they seem to have settled in well. There's a good variety of algae in there that they've already taken to munching on.
They'll be ok just as long as I keep the water clean right?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Here's the tank:

MVIMG_20171230_203507.jpg

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
All 3 are just doing their own things... There's 2 females and a male. The bigger female is just swimming up and down the sides and the back, the smaller female is just eating, and the male is following the smaller female waiting for an opportunity to mate. (he tried...)

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
All 3 are just doing their own things... There's 2 females and a male. The bigger female is just swimming up and down the sides and the back, the smaller female is just eating, and the male is following the smaller female waiting for an opportunity to mate. (he tried...)
Lol trust me there will be babies.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
yup, I know... the larger female already looks kind of gravid, there's a little black dot on her belly. (where the gravid spot usually is.)
and even if I do get overrun with little baby platies, there's an empty ten gallon next to their tank that I was INTENDING to use as a growout/quarantine tank... Hopefully I don't have to use that tank as a 'platy fry overflow' tank lol... I want to grow out a marbled hrp in there... (the ten gallon)

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
anyway back to the question... is it 'overstocked' in there? As for space, there's certainly enough space and hiding places for them in there.
Also after doing a it of research on their mating habits, my male did mate with the smaller female...
My smaller female discovered a little pit covered by some moss, and likes hiding in there.
She goes in, pecks at stuff a bit, then comes out to munch on some algae, then back in.
My male went in there with the female. They both did this weird twitchy dance , then the male went up to the female and leaned up to her... (couldn't see too well I was eating dinner like 8 feet away)
according to other people with their platies (on youtube) the male was... you know...

Well I guess I'll be expecting little babies in about a month.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Here you can see that my platies have cleaned most of the algae off the filter, in just about 12 hours.

MVIMG_20171231_133540.jpg

Stuff on the top is just the food I feed them.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
From eating all that algae, the platies have covered most of the substrate with their poop... Is there anything that will clean that up? Would amano or ghost shrimp work?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
should I try to pull the fry?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store