300+ gal. build plan

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Hello all, Been a long time since I've been around these parts as I haven't been able to keep any monster tanks for quite a while due to moving a few times and kids.

Early last spring I got a 60 gallon tank setup in our new house and my wife and kids fell in love with it. Slowly started to win them over to the fish side.

Following that was a 10 gallon tank used for quarantine mostly but it had a few permanent residents that would tolerate the odd passer through. Until one day a 5 year old who was frog hopping around in my living room smashed her noggin into it and all the water and inhabitants flowed out into our new rug. All children and fish were unharmed in this event.

Fast forward to the last few weeks and I've gone back to work and have an income again and my wife got a PHAT raise (22k) at work. So we have a lot more money flowing in then before. We've realized how much we love fish and want to set up some more tanks. The initial plan for now is to convert a section of our laundry room to a fish breeding/viewing setup for US. No one else. These will be for breeding and personal tanks. We love plecos, cory cats, and shrimp.

The plan is for 10 tanks. Eight of them will be 18 wide, 12 high, 24 front to back. Which works out to 22ish gallons each. I'm also thinking 2 large grow out tanks on the bottom row that will be 36 wide, 24 front to back and 20 high which is 75ish gallons. I will be custom building all of these tanks. In total its 320 gallons.

Not quite a monster setup but its a fairly large volume all at once and I have a history here at MFK, far more so than any other forum so I decided to come back here. So if you have some free time in the following weeks I'll be living over in the DIY section. Hope to see you there.

P.S. Heres My DIY resume https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/300ish-gallon-plywood-first-attempt.288925/

Reactions: PGJE and Davidiator

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Hello all, Been a long time since I've been around these parts as I haven't been able to keep any monster tanks for quite a while due to moving a few times and kids.

Early last spring I got a 60 gallon tank setup in our new house and my wife and kids fell in love with it. Slowly started to win them over to the fish side.

Following that was a 10 gallon tank used for quarantine mostly but it had a few permanent residents that would tolerate the odd passer through. Until one day a 5 year old who was frog hopping around in my living room smashed her noggin into it and all the water and inhabitants flowed out into our new rug. All children and fish were unharmed in this event.

Fast forward to the last few weeks and I've gone back to work and have an income again and my wife got a PHAT raise (22k) at work. So we have a lot more money flowing in then before. We've realized how much we love fish and want to set up some more tanks. The initial plan for now is to convert a section of our laundry room to a fish breeding/viewing setup for US. No one else. These will be for breeding and personal tanks. We love plecos, cory cats, and shrimp.

The plan is for 10 tanks. Eight of them will be 18 wide, 12 high, 24 front to back. Which works out to 22ish gallons each. I'm also thinking 2 large grow out tanks on the bottom row that will be 36 wide, 24 front to back and 20 high which is 75ish gallons. I will be custom building all of these tanks. In total its 320 gallons.

Not quite a monster setup but its a fairly large volume all at once and I have a history here at MFK, far more so than any other forum so I decided to come back here. So if you have some free time in the following weeks I'll be living over in the DIY section. Hope to see you there.

P.S. Heres My DIY resume https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/300ish-gallon-plywood-first-attempt.288925/

This looks AWESOME!
Can’t wait!
I love that tank you have set up... what is in it?

Awesome...can’t wait to see progress reports
+1

Reactions: PGJE

Greenboy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Derbyshire, UK
Ah, yet another case of Kermititis.
Your local priest can usually solve that for you with a quick exorcism, but sometimes the frog spirit is too strong within the child and it may require some extra circulation (an air stone or powerhead) and a big water change in the child's tank to fix the problem.

Reactions: Davidiator and PGJE

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Went and read your entire build thread...amazing stuff but bummed you didn’t show any pics with fish in it after you were done cycling. Welcome back and hope to see a finished product on this thread
Sorry about that. I Wasn't as active on the forum towards the end of that build as I got divorced and I think I lost a hard drive that had a lot of my stuff on it. That tank ended up housing two Pacu's that got to be about 10" or so and an 18" Common pleco along with 1 betta and about 100 neon tetras before I had to tear down and sell everything.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Ah, yet another case of Kermititis.
Your local priest can usually solve that for you with a quick exorcism, but sometimes the frog spirit is too strong within the child and it may require some extra circulation (an air stone or powerhead) and a big water change in the child's tank to fix the problem.
Frog? There an inside joke I'm missing here? I don't think I've ever mentioned frogs.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Sorry about that. I Wasn't as active on the forum towards the end of that build as I got divorced and I think I lost a hard drive that had a lot of my stuff on it. That tank ended up housing two Pacu's that got to be about 10" or so and an 18" Common pleco along with 1 betta and about 100 neon tetras before I had to tear down and sell everything.
i am just going to ask. did you get remarried already?
you said your wife is on the fish side now..

if this is too personal or something forgive me and ignore it :/

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Your daughter was pretending to be a frog and jumped into the tank, was she not?

Apologies if i caused offence
Ohhhh. No, no offense. I totally missed the reference. I just started working nights last week and it's made it a bit difficult lately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store