Mar 2, 2006
ND
Looking good man. Keep us updated. :D

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
"Updates might be few and far between from here on out, since someone will have to buy some new glass before the project can continue..."

Definitely looks like a home owners insurance problem, something hit your front window and broke it :D.

For the right price I'm sure you could buy...I mean find a witness :grinno:.

Outstanding job on the tank, mere words pale against it.
And I'm sure your abs and bicepts are looking better too :ROFL:.

Dr Joe

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
awesome i wanted plywood tank but decided on acrylic. still in process, waiting to complete fish room before tanks are built.

maxumis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
South Africa
Thanks for all the kind words guys. It's given me some motivation to get the project done. Still a lot of work to be done, so I'll keep the updates coming.

The stains I used are spirit based and are called Cherry Wood and Imbuia. There are 5 layers of polyurethane varnish on there too, which brings out the color very nicely indeed.

The epoxy is a 2 part, food grade, ceramic coating epoxy. I got it at a place called FlowCrete in Johannesburg South Africa. To quote the guys there when I asked how long it would last in this application "Many, many years sir. Many years." It set me back SAR500 for 6 liters of the stuff (+-$70 for 1.5 Gallons). Applying it in winter time is a bit tricky, because it goes tacky as hell if the room temperature is less than 20 degrees (68 Fahrenheit), so I had to use all the heat generating appliances I own to heat the room to 20 when I was working with it. Plus, it didn't cure in 10 hours... It took 2 days to cure per coat (there are 4 coats on there!).

Dr Joe;1020050; said:
Definitely looks like a home owners insurance problem, something hit your front window and broke it :D.

For the right price I'm sure you could buy...I mean find a witness :grinno:.

Outstanding job on the tank, mere words pale against it.
And I'm sure your abs and biceps are looking better too :ROFL:.

Dr Joe
Yea... uhm I don't think I'll convince any insurance company that that wasn't my own fault... Good plan though...
And now that you mention it, I think my abs and biceps do look like I've been working out :ROFL:

I got quotes on new glass for the tank today. $214 to get the glass before the weekend. $188 to get it next week some time. I guess I'll work on the covers for the stand this weekend then...

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Stunning job....your tank looks like a jewellry box! I've been fitting skirting boards in luxury flats all week so I know how long those miters took! Looking forward to the next update.

bluekrissyspikes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2007
canada
that's a really nice looking tank....i want one like that..trying to convince hubby that it is possible to build a wood tank...he says no...grrrr.....
hope to see it finished soon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store