Aug 23, 2006
South Africa
Mystix212;1021801; said:
What are you going to put in it?
These three guys.
arrow.jpg
clownknife.jpg
TigerOscar.jpg

The Arrow and CK are getting along fine in my 60 Gallon at the moment, but the Oscar and Arrow didn't. That's why the Oscar is in my 26 Gallon quarantine tank for now. Hopefully they'll tolerate each other in the big tank. If not, I'll trade the Oscar for a catfish or something...

maxumis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
South Africa
I'm sure they'll have plenty of room top squabble over. You only want 3 fish?
Well, I have 2 common plecs going in there as well, but I'm a little worried of being overstocked a year from now. We'll see how things go once the fish are in their new home.

Quick update.
I got a friend to help me lift the tank onto the stand on Friday. Then I spent Saturday cutting the panels for the stand. Sunday I built the step (which is going to get tiled btw). Monday and yesterday evenings I made and stained the panels in the photo. It's coming together slowly but surely.

IMG_5004.jpg

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Your clown knife and aro might get a bit crowed in that they dont have enough space to turn around, but when they only have 6" to turn around, I'd start thinking of rehoming them.

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
That tank is AMAZING!!!!!! That just put new wind in my sails to build one rather than spend HUGE money buying one. Any idea what you have into it. (money wise)

maxumis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
South Africa
hbluehunter;1033039;1033039 said:
That tank is AMAZING!!!!!! That just put new wind in my sails to build one rather than spend HUGE money buying one. Any idea what you have into it. (money wise)
It does cost quite a bit... But it's starting to be worth it. Hard to say exactly how much... Say +- $800...

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
Any chance of getting some specs. H x W x D ?? And any idea how much that baby weighs. I don't want that thing going through my floor!!! Oh yea did you buy that filtration system or build that too??

AndrewMack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Fleming Island FL
I was looking on Garf.org on plans for building a similar tank(300gallons)96"X24"highand36"deep, they recomend a 1/4" commercial grade glass, what thickness glass did you use?

maxumis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
South Africa
Any chance of getting some specs. H x W x D ??
Outside dimensions 96" x 28.5" x 34" (WxDxH)
Water level will be held at 27" via the overflow in the middle back of the tank.

Oh yea did you buy that filtration system or build that too??
Yea, I built the sump. But that's not going to be the only filtration. I'm going to run 2 additional cascade type filters, each turning 300+ gallons/hour.

And any idea how much that baby weighs. I don't want that thing going through my floor!!!
It's gonna weight a LOT! Looking at +- 1450kg (roughly 3190 pounds). Its being setup on the ground floor of my flat. Will the floor handle it? Well, I feel confident that the floor would be able to support my car, which (with a full tank of gas and me inside) weighs about that much. So yes. It will be fine.

what thickness glass did you use?
I don't want to take any chances with the glass, so I'm using 3/8". According to my calculations that will give me a safety factor of 2.9... I have tanks built with a 2.0 safety factor. So 2.9 should be plenty.

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
Thanks for all the info!!! I'm going to start looking into building one soon!!! As far as the glass is that best or is acrylic any better, or just preference?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store