300g overflow setup help

Projectnsx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2017
Just purchased a used 300 gallon acrylic tank that is running three bulkhead siphon intakes with no overflow box/boxes and one return. I'm not familiar with these and wanted some input. The previous owner couldn't tell me much due to that fact that she acquired it in a storage auction purchase.

Basically just wanted to know if this setup will be loud or any and all downsides. Also if it would be in my best interest to upgrade to overflow boxes and which (in your opinion) would be best. Just some extra info, im going to be running 2 fx6's on it also and a 3d background. Stock will be predator haps. Here are some pics. Thanks in advance for all you advice.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Looks to me like you could very easily put a coast-to-coast overflow on the outside back of the tank, and you'd have a Beanimal. If you don't want to do the coast-to-coast, then you might want to plan out a better way get the siphon drains into the sump -- make the drain lines equal distance, flow rates the same so they all drain at the same rate -- and try to tie them all into a single gate valve if you can. I'd hate to try to adjust THREE gate valves. If you could get it down to 1 or 2 gates and run a Herbie, it'd run dead silent.

Reactions: Projectnsx

Projectnsx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2017
Looks to me like you could very easily put a coast-to-coast overflow on the outside back of the tank, and you'd have a Beanimal. If you don't want to do the coast-to-coast, then you might want to plan out a better way get the siphon drains into the sump -- make the drain lines equal distance, flow rates the same so they all drain at the same rate -- and try to tie them all into a single gate valve if you can. I'd hate to try to adjust THREE gate valves. If you could get it down to 1 or 2 gates and run a Herbie, it'd run dead silent.
I like the coast to coast idea but 96" of overflow box sounds like a bit much. Since I'm going to be adding a 3d background I don't want to take away much real estate on the inside of the tank. I was planing on replumbing since I like a cleaner look so getting all three into one shouldn't be a problem. I just want to keep the noise of the tank down to a minimum since this will be in my theater room. I saw this idea online.

IMG_6258.JPG

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Coast to coast would go on the outside of the tank.

Projectnsx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2017
I've noticed now from looking at other overflows like the ghost that since my holes are drilled so far up that I'll be restricted on which ones I can use. Unless I drill new holes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store