350 SA tank and 180 Community

Manning99

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2020
The SA lungfish won't really eat smaller fish on purpose, but if they happen to be eating and a fish gets sucked in, it can do a lot of damage. Sometimes while eating a SA will accidentally slurp up a bichirs tail and cause it to bolt up or across the aquarium. It's a relative slow eater, constantly looking for food. What sucks is when you don't get their really large turd out in time, and they break the mucus membrane, causing all the pieces to spread throughout the tank.
Great now I just need to source one, not very easy to find in the uk.

Smallest fish in the tank would be the EBA so if they're fine I dont see any issues, the maintenance I'm happy with doing a bit extra for because I've wanted a lungfish for quite a while now.
I wish I had an explanation for this but my tank is the calmest cichlid tank I have ever had or seen.

Here is a video of the tank look for the baby's, watch when I turn the flash on how many more you see. They are everywhere and they just swim right by the bigger fish and the lager ones just swim around like they don't have a care in the world. Very few lip locking mostly just a chase hear and there. I know I am very heavily stocked more than any other tank I have ever owned but it can't be just that. If I had to take a guess It's probably a combination of factors, like they are well fed, they have a lot of room to run. Maybe just the sheer number of baby's they got tired if eating them. But my population is growing exponentially and it is almost to the point that I am going to have to do something about it. The females just keep breeding its crazy. I have 2 females that seem to just stay pregnant I don't know when they eat?

Aye as you say the overstocking, plenty of space, plenty of places to hide and manuver, the excess of fry and keeping them well fed could be the reason they seem to get along so well all together.

Manning99

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2020
Rough final stocking: 350G

1x Oscar
1x BGK
1x SA Lungfish
1x Reticulated Stingray
1x Red Wolfish
1x PTC
2x Rokteil Severum
3x Blood Parrots
5x EBA

Rough Final stocking 180G:

4x Burmese clouded archers
3x Ropefish
2x African butterfly fish
1x Red tail black shark
1x Black spotted eel
1x Delhezi bichir
1x Senegal bichir
1x Leopard ctenopoma

Appreciate any comments/potential problems anyone can see.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Rough final stocking: 350G

1x Oscar
1x BGK
1x SA Lungfish
1x Reticulated Stingray
1x Red Wolfish
1x PTC
2x Rokteil Severum
3x Blood Parrots
5x EBA

Rough Final stocking 180G:

4x Burmese clouded archers
3x Ropefish
2x African butterfly fish
1x Red tail black shark
1x Black spotted eel
1x Delhezi bichir
1x Senegal bichir
1x Leopard ctenopoma

Appreciate any comments/potential problems anyone can see.
Ok just got to ask what is a PTC? I even google it and nothing came up.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Aye sorry for the confusion.

BGK = Black ghost knifefish
PTC = Pink tail chaleus
EBA = Electric blue acara
Thanks I knew the other 2 but that one is a cool looking fish and it gets a decent size too. I might have got a few for my tank if I knew about them.

Manning99

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2020
Thanks I knew the other 2 but that one is a cool looking fish and it gets a decent size too. I might have got a few for my tank if I knew about them.
Am under the impression that unless you get a large group in a large tank then they are better as a single fish.

Look nice and very active though when I've seen them.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Am under the impression that unless you get a large group in a large tank then they are better as a single fish.

Look nice and very active though when I've seen them.
Well I was just reading about them and everything I saw was saying yes 6 or more or they will be more likely to fight. And a very large tank with decent water movement and highly oxygen levels.

Manning99

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2020
Planning on using powerheads in combination with larger pieces of hard scape to create areas of high and dead flow.

Few airstones in high flow areas aswell so oxygenation/flow should be no issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store