37 gal. monsters

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
guppy said:
I went by the old Axelrod's mini atlas which lists them at 30cm and that I have never seen one myself that was bigger than a foot. After reading your post I double checked with fishbase and they list them at 70cm which is more inline with what you have seen.
I hate old info, this book is to handy to toss but it also lists black aros as only getting to 18"s.
Yeah, I know how that goes. And even the newly updated editions don't seem to EVER have correct sizes on a lot of fish. Drives me nuts, LOL. :D

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yeah, the big thing with blood parrots is to get ones that aren't sterile, which there are VERY few of... but, I have had my female blood parrot lay eggs twice... :D But, neither time they hatched, so I suspect that my little male is sterile.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
lizardfishman said:
i knew that some1 was going to say convicts. are there any other speicies of cichlids that can be kept and bred in my tank.
Little guys like the Apistogramma cacatuiodes, Cockatoo dwarf cichlids,

cacatuoides_2004ago23_03.jpg

apistogramma_cacatuoides.jpg

apistogramma_cacatuoides2.jpg

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
BGG said:
Yeah, the big thing with blood parrots is to get ones that aren't sterile, which there are VERY few of... but, I have had my female blood parrot lay eggs twice... :D But, neither time they hatched, so I suspect that my little male is sterile.
You need to pair that thing off with a prolific S.A. Cichlid, like a juvie RD, JD, GT or Firemouth.. That parrot will cross with anything that will fertilize..

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
By 'Monster' do you mean a fish that is predatory or viscious? Or do you mean a fish that is going to get insanely too large for that tank and eventually kill itself? I wouldn't reccomend trying to put some big fish in there, but heres a few suggestions for smaller predatory fish..

2 Figure-8 Puffers and a Butis Butis.
2 Ctenopoma, with Characin Gars and maybe an African butterfly.
Dwarf Pike Cichlids, maybe with some Firemouths or Convicts.

TaratronVaeVictus

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
Peoria, AZ, USA
How about some multfiasitus shelldwellers? You can have mine! ;)

seighten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
michigan
i was going to chime in with firemouths as well... or rainbow cichlids...

ifn ya do the dwarf cichlids idea... the one time i had a pair and they laid eggs the male was dead before the day was out... and this was in a 29 gal. so....

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
if i got a gt what type of filter should i get. needs to be generally quiet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store