3d background help

Jread002

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2019
I have a 125 gallon tank I'm setting up for some of my African cichlids. I bought the universal rocks crystal wall 3d background. It's one of there thinner models, only sticks out 3" Max in some places so there is not much of a gap between back of backgrounds d and back glass. I have a fx6 and a fx4 that I will be running the tubing behind the background and drilling a hole for the inlet so the only thing on the front of the background are the actual intakes. I'm not delivering the background to the tank I will be using clips to hold it. My concern is the water behind the background becoming stagnant. I was thinking of drilling some small holes in spots where I can't see them and since the fluval intakesare able to take in water from all sides I would still some holes behind where the I take is. Hopefully the intake will draw water from behind background and the speratic holes around the background will draw water to the rear of the background. Not sure if this would work. Would love to hear suggestions and if anyone has 3d backgrounds what they did.

Thanks

Aquadog

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2009
CA
Check out my "New Tank Build" thread.

You can make your background out of foam, using a foam board and spray foam, cover with epoxy resin, glue on various size rocks with the spray foam and cover with sand and you will have a real textured background. (A suggestion would be to get your rocks and sand wet first so you know the color it will turn once under water.)

Jread002

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2019
I already have my background, just wanted to know how ppl handled the water behind the background

Newbfish27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2020
Riverside
Bump
I have similar concerns since I was thinking of using my return pump to create sandfall but worried about not enough circulation to push filtered water into tank area

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Do not worry about stagnant water. I have universal rocks background. I actually have fry living behind it that I have to fish out every once in a while. Mine is not siliconed in place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store