420 Gallon Floor Aquarium by Aquatic Elements

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
Hi Everyone,

Im back with another build! Ive definitly been missing the monster fish for a while and its time to get back into them. Now My first thread on here was a 5 x 2.5 x 2ft aquarium with a couple of rays and an arowana. I manged to get my dream tank nearly two years ago and have kept high end fancy goldfish in it up until now. For those who would like to see the progression, feel free to check out my Instagram-
Aquatic Elements (@aquaticelementsuk) • Instagram photos and videos

The Fancy goldfish have now found new homes and its time for me to get back into the monster fish. The aquarium dimensions are 8 x 3 x 2.5ft so a decent footprint for some monster fish. Now where this tank differs from the norm, is that its on the ground, and I built my own internal sump. Now I have various videos on my YouTube channel showing the workings of this, but in simple terms. Water travels over the weir and onto filter fleece, then through two layers of sponges, down into approximately 35-40kg of biomedia, and then is pumped back by a 6000lph return pump. I have two Hydra 52HD lights illuminating the aquarium and I have installed a large 1.9m bubble wall in the back of the tank (Will show that soon). Firstly I'll attach some of the picture of what the tank used to look like with the fancy goldfish in it.

DSC04424.JPG

The tank has now been fully drained and cleaned ready for the new aquascape. What would you stock this aquarium with? Updates coming asap!

Thanks,

Chris

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hi Everyone,

Im back with another build! Ive definitly been missing the monster fish for a while and its time to get back into them. Now My first thread on here was a 5 x 2.5 x 2ft aquarium with a couple of rays and an arowana. I manged to get my dream tank nearly two years ago and have kept high end fancy goldfish in it up until now. For those who would like to see the progression, feel free to check out my Instagram-
Aquatic Elements (@aquaticelementsuk) • Instagram photos and videos

The Fancy goldfish have now found new homes and its time for me to get back into the monster fish. The aquarium dimensions are 8 x 3 x 2.5ft so a decent footprint for some monster fish. Now where this tank differs from the norm, is that its on the ground, and I built my own internal sump. Now I have various videos on my YouTube channel showing the workings of this, but in simple terms. Water travels over the weir and onto filter fleece, then through two layers of sponges, down into approximately 35-40kg of biomedia, and then is pumped back by a 6000lph return pump. I have two Hydra 52HD lights illuminating the aquarium and I have installed a large 1.9m bubble wall in the back of the tank (Will show that soon). Firstly I'll attach some of the picture of what the tank used to look like with the fancy goldfish in it.

View attachment 1542845

The tank has now been fully drained and cleaned ready for the new aquascape. What would you stock this aquarium with? Updates coming asap!

Thanks,

Chris
If I had a tank that size, I would do bichirs and gars. Or knifefish.

Reactions: 14crazychris

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
If I had a tank that size, I would do bichirs and gars. Or knifefish.
I’ve never ever kept a gar or knife fish and it’s definitely something I want to try. I really want a couple of rays and an Asian arowana. Just not sure on the last few fish to add. Will post some picture updates soon as the tank is rescaped now

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
I suggest doing those if you're mind is set on them. If you do rays I wouldn't add anymore bottom dwellers.
If I go for rays and an arowana, would you consider adding anything else? Id either like a couple more oddball fish or maybe a group of some geos etc?

thanks

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
Tank has been fully cleaned down now. I managed to keep 80% of my biomedia alive in a spare aquarium with a pump and ghost feeding. I went for some glacial boulders and a huge 2m piece of drift wood. I like the idea of plants but think its impractical. As the rays grow I will probably remove a few of the boulders taking up substrate space. Ive used approximately 90kg of play sand and 12kg of tan gravel, to mix in and give it more of a natural feel. I will be fitting a 2m air bar in the back of the tank for oxygen and also circulation to get some good flow. pictures attached below
DSC04921.JPGDSC04923.JPGDSC04926.JPGDSC04922.JPG

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Tank has been fully cleaned down now. I managed to keep 80% of my biomedia alive in a spare aquarium with a pump and ghost feeding. I went for some glacial boulders and a huge 2m piece of drift wood. I like the idea of plants but think its impractical. As the rays grow I will probably remove a few of the boulders taking up substrate space. Ive used approximately 90kg of play sand and 12kg of tan gravel, to mix in and give it more of a natural feel. I will be fitting a 2m air bar in the back of the tank for oxygen and also circulation to get some good flow. pictures attached below
View attachment 1542884View attachment 1542885View attachment 1542886View attachment 1542887
Beautiful setup, love the natural appeal of it. Instead of real plants, perhaps you could do realistic fake plants?

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Some nice floating plants would work. Had you considered a giraffe cat for variation in body type of bottom dwellers? The wood is beautiful but (IMO) a bit too thick and takes up a lot of room for big fish to navigate. Just sayin'. I'd shave off the pointy parts and maybe shave down that wide section with a saw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store