4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I used Liquid Nails to fill in holes, corners, and screw heads prior to applying the Permadri. Do you think there's any advantage to using Bondo? I think that VLDesign met with some problems with Bondo on both his builds. Liquid Nails is easy to work with; just squirt it in and us a putty knife to get any excess and you're done. Hard as rock when you're done too.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Still waiting to hear back from the guy at Polymer Products to see whether or not I need to sheath the tank with 1/4" plywood or not. I'm going to do what I said I was going to do in the interim just for SnG. Have to get a little more water out of the tank then I'm going to back out the screws on the frame and put some liquid nails in each hold then screw them back in. Then coat the frame around the window and near it with the rest of the Permadri. I'll let that cure then give it a test again. I still have to pool some more cash for the Max ACR anyway.

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Hi Pete, was the Permadri product you were using the pond or rubber coat?
I have been reading about rubber coatings after seeing a thread on here that used Ames' Blue Max over epoxy to seal 11.5'x6'x4' (LxWxH) tank.
I really am surprised and confused by your leak issues as the LR products seem great.
Good luck though with the fiber glassing.

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
I am pretty sure Pete used Pond Coat in his build....I am sure he will chime in if I am mistaken. I built a tank about 2 years ago now and used Rubber Coat, which was also made by Permadri(?) and Pete and I exchanged a few messages thinking I had messed up and used the wrong product. I think in the end it is pretty much just different packaging. LR is a great product to work with.

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
I agree Ross, I read the website info and I really do not think there is much difference if any.n

http://lrindustrialcoatings.com.au/Main/Company.aspx

The above link is for the Australian LR arm of the Canadian parent Co but it has no pond product.
I think the product is Acritech but I have inquired about getting some so will know soon.
Either way I still do not know hpw it went wrong in Pete's build.

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
Pete's build is a mystery to me as well. As many coats as he applied with the LR I can't believe the LR is the issue. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the seal around the viewing window. Of course, when you are dealing with that much water and that kind of pressure I guess anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store