4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I applaud your work and effort. Thanks for posting all the stuff on the thread. You have far more courage than I do. One little thing goes wrong with my tank or I loose a prized fish and I can't bring myself to post it because it is so disappointing to myself and sad for me to have others read. I always want people to think I am an expert or the best but I am not like so many other people we all make some mistake or something happens. I know it's life and stuff happens many times things we can't control at all or don't know better. I'll say it again I applaud your work and courage for everything here. Takes a bigger man to say his failure than his success. Guaranteed. Keep working on it all and it will fall into place. Thanks again.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I don't know what problems you're referring to that the tank had before I met my wife. The only issue the tank has ever had other than the leak was the 2" cell cast acrylic window arriving at 50" x 99" instead of 48" x 96" that I ordered.

How's the wife?
-------

Anyone know the coverage MAX ACR provides per 1.5 gallons?

Would I need to sheath with 1/4" plywood or could I use it over the Permadri Rubber Coat?

I'm thinking that I could do the front wall where I think the issue is. I don't think I need to do the rest of the tank because there have not been any leaks elsewhere that I can tell.

I still think the Permadri would work and will use it in some other projects I have in progress, but I'm also sold on the results Max ACR has provided for John and Rich. It's hard not to go with the Permadri to prove that it is viable.

What do you all think?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
When I added the 2x6 frame, I took care of one leak, but opened up another. Had I been able to pinpoint it, yes Dow 795 (a type of silicone) would have been able to seal it. The leak should be able to be resolved with more Permadri, but as of the last test, I was out of it.

There wasn't any bowing at all as demonstrated by absolutely no fractures in the front drywall and no movement marks on the upper frame. The cross-bracing at the top and the 2x6 walls made sure of that.

redtop03

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2012
Barbourville,Ky.
When I added the 2x6 frame, I took care of one leak, but opened up another. Had I been able to pinpoint it, yes Dow 795 (a type of silicone) would have been able to seal it. The leak should be able to be resolved with more Permadri, but as of the last test, I was out of it.

There wasn't any bowing at all as demonstrated by absolutely no fractures in the front drywall and no movement marks on the upper frame. The cross-bracing at the top and the 2x6 walls made sure of that.
I didn't think you'd have any bowing issues,the frame work looks incredibly strong....I'm not at all familiar with the Permadri but I assume you can just add another coat to what you already have,if that is the case,you should be able to resolve the issue pretty quickly,looking forward to seeing this monster tank teeming with extremely large fish :D

Ozkar

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Pete, I would NOT recommend trying to use MAX ACR over the liquid rubber. I dont think it will adhere very well.

If you are sure its the front wall, I guess you could sheath and MAX ACR it, and then use the Permadri around the edge of the sheathing so water does not get behind it. I would also embed fiberglas strips in the permadri around the perimeter of the sheathing. The Permadri should adhere well to the cured MAX ACR, but not the other way around.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Anyone know the coverage MAX ACR provides per 1.5 gallons?

I got roughly 7 coats on my 6x4x3ft tank with 1 1.5 gallon kit which equates out to roughly 490sq ft once you take the window out.

Would I need to sheath with 1/4" plywood or could I use it over the Permadri Rubber Coat?

I would absolutely not use the max acr over the perma dri, it won't adhere properly. I'm guessing your best bet would be to take the window out, strip the front of permadri and coat it in the max acr then replace the window.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Funny, he says the wife is fine...

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...e-sale-EVERYTHING-must-go-Pick-up-Ankeny-Iowa

-------

I'm not taking the window out. That's completely unnecessary. My initial thought was to sheath over the Permadri with 1/4" plywood. I will likely get the type with one smooth side, so I don't have to bondo anything. There's really not much surface area around the window, so I'll likely spend more on the plywood for the front than I would for the rest of the tank if I ended up doing the whole thing. I'd like to try the front first.

Thanks Stempy. The front wall is 6 x 10 including the 4 x 8 window. I think one kit would give me plenty, so that makes this easily feasible. I'm at a little over 300 sq ft for one coat on the entire tank, so good to know one kit would do about 1.65 coats.

Thanks Ozkar. I'd like to put fiberglass matt over the entire front wall somewhat like they do in the Max ACR tank build in their slideshow.

You both confirmed my thoughts that I wouldn't be able to go directly on the Permadri.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store