440g System Setup

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
I forgot to update the group on the fish as well. It was bumpy for a little while but things seem to be going smoothly now.

At the beginning of April I noticed one morning that 1 of the Geo's tails was completely gone, like someone ate it off. This Geo was the runt in the group and I assumed either the other Geo's were picking on him and/or the stingrays ate his tail at night. I left him in the tank and started feeding more and dosed the tank with Melafix to help the fish heal. I noticed at this time the Datnoid also had a cloudy eye and probably pop-eye. I got him out and put him in the quarantine tank to try and dose some extra medicines. Picture below is when I noticed the Geo's tail was very chewed up.
IMG-1229.jpg
This next picture (below) was taken the day after the 1st picture (above). I'm not sure if the bones just fell off because they were exposed or if there was continued bullying that night. At this time, I put another large piece of driftwood in the center of the tank to try and break up the line-of-site between all the fish across the tank, to ease aggression. I think this has helped some and creates more hiding places.
IMG-1275.jpg
The Datnoid passed away a couple days later. Not sure what caused the pop-eye and cloudy eye. The only thing I could think of was my Nitrates run between 20-30ppm so it could be that, but none of the other fish seem bothered by it. I purchased a sulfur denitrator that I am going to install once I get the sump completed.

The Geo's tail healed back almost completely to the point you couldn't tell it was ever gone. Then about a week later he was dead floating on the surface one morning. I think the stingrays were pinning him to the sandbed and suffocated him. Then a week later another Geo was dead, floating at the surface one morning. So now I'm down to 5 total.

The picture below is the Geo with the tail almost completely healed, a day before he passed away.
unnamed (3).jpg

And that pretty much brings us back to present day on the fish deaths. Below is the fish stock as of right now:
1- Bushy nose pleco
1- Cactus Pleco
1- Flagtail
4- Silver Dollars
5- Topajos Geophagus
7- Clown Loaches
2- BD Hybrid Stingrays

Here's a picture of most of the fish, the clowns are very curious and personable now in the tank. They always come to the glass when I'm around.
IMG-2215.jpg

The female stingray (in picture above) is definitely bigger than the male now, probably 12-13" diameter. While the male stingray (pictured below) is probably in the 10-11" diameter range. Also, the male loves playing in the bubbles as pictured below.
IMG-2217.jpg

IMG-1227.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: wednesday13

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
I was told they are about 2.5 years old. The previous owner got them right before Covid happened. I feed them raw shrimp and zucchini every day, previous owner fed them the same thing.
How do you prepare the shrimp? I mean do you just go to the store and buy a shrimp and deshell it and toss it in the tank ? I do put extra mystery snails in my tank and after a few months the loaches will eat them but it takes a while.

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
How do you prepare the shrimp? I mean do you just go to the store and buy a shrimp and deshell it and toss it in the tank ? I do put extra mystery snails in my tank and after a few months the loaches will eat them but it takes a while.
Yeah I get them from the local grocery store in the fresh seafood area. They usually have some stuff that is 50% off that's about to expire and they want to get rid of. Seems like nobody in my town wants shrimp-kabobs because those are always 50% off and they're big shrimp. I usually cut them into dime size or nickel size pieces so all the fish in the tank can eat them. The Loaches and silver dollars usually fight over the pieces so they rip them up to smaller portions that are easier to eat.

I've gotten smelt and half clams before also. The stingrays will eat these but the other fish seem to prefer just the shrimp.

Reactions: jake37 and deeda

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
Some minor updates to the fish room. All the fish are doing well, no casualties since I added the plecos and loaches early this summer. I also go a 200ish gallon tank that I'm going to plumb into the same system.

In the picture below you can see where it's going to go in the room, I'm going to run the return lines from the 200 down and across the wall to the sump under the big tank. I already have the sump plumbed for 3 return lines from this tank and 1 outlet that will feed water to the 200. This way I should only have to add 1 more pump to the system to get the 200 up and running.
IMG-3137.jpgIMG-3183.jpg
Picture above was after I put mud on the stand but before I sanded and painted it. Still have some work to do.

Pictured below is the biggest female in the clown loach group. I think they've been growing since I added them a few months ago. She seems to be around 8" long, hard to get a ruler in front of her on the glass. But on the right side of the picture is a 2" diameter PVC pipe and she barely fits in it, she has to wiggle a lot to scoot in/out of the pipe.
IMG-3464.jpg
This picture below kind of shows the difference in loach size. The 1 in front is a male, they are all the same age, but the male seems to be about half the size of the female.
IMG-3471.jpg

And here is a picture of the female ray, hard to believe she's 15 months old and already 15ish inches across.
IMG-3059.jpg

turtles

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
Wow ? what a amazing setup! Those rays are gorgeous, have you had any issues between them and the clown loaches?

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
Wow ? what a amazing setup! Those rays are gorgeous, have you had any issues between them and the clown loaches?
No issues with the clowns and rays. The clowns are big enough that the rays don't both them (yet). Hopefully they never do bother them. But the clowns sleep in the PVC pipes and in the driftwood so the rays cant really get to them when they're sleeping.

Reactions: jake37 and turtles

brent245

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2009
Arizona
Interesting setup. You are giving me ideas for mine. Mine is somewhat similar. I have a 64x42x30 being made. I plan on using a 75g tank as a sump.

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
Interesting setup. You are giving me ideas for mine. Mine is somewhat similar. I have a 64x42x30 being made. I plan on using a 75g tank as a sump.
Glad I could help spark some ideas. If I did this again, I would never have went cheap on the 1st sump and would have jumped straight to the bigger sump that was designed to be a sump. I also 100% recommend the Apex system even though it's meant for saltwater, or some other monitor/controller for the tank. It's so nice to be able to check the tanks parameters from anywhere on an app. I can also tell when there's leftover food in the tank or when the filters need to be changed in the sump because the ORP drops and Apex sends me a notification. Super helpful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store