5,000 gallon pool

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
MFK legends I am thinking of getting this pool for my Payara and put the thing in my living room! I really could use some advice from your guys...

5,000 gallon pool
16'X4'

I was gonna get one of those hang on filters that trickle down maybe have a sump on it and put the beast of a tank in my living room with my crazy Payara.

Any better ideas, will this work, can it leak, any other suggestions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bestway-16-...440592?hash=item5b32ced890:g:X~wAAOSw44BYlJ3O

s-l1600_pool.jpg

Reactions: Dee eng and Chub_by

EighthNotch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
Yeah, unless your living room is on a slab I would put that in your basement. Imagine 8 cars parked in your living room, that's how much weight that is.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I agree with the above:

1) Living rooms are rarely capable of holding this much weight. A thick concrete slab is what you will want.

2) Living rooms rarely have the type of air flow that will enable you to avoid mold. While that is also true in basements, it is going to be much easier to add dehumidifiers and add protection for the walls and ceilings in the basement without wrecking your house in the process.

3) There are never guarantees against a leak. 5,000 gallons in the basement (where you have built in drains, a concrete floor and possibly a sump pump) is preferable to 5,000 gallons in your living room where you have none of the those.

Keep in mind as well, that your home insurance might not cover this as it's not a flood and would be considered unreasonable by most people. You would have a better chance if you have to sue if this was in the basement.

Also keep in mind that if it can be seen from the outside through a window (or through a doorway), it might be considered an 'attractive nuisance' or if the living room floor collapses and someone is injured as a result, you may find yourself open to serious legal or criminal consequences.

Last edited:

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Stick beams in to support the floor beneath, build it a cover, run a dehumidifier, stick a window on it and go for it! If you want it, listen to the naysayers, but only to keep in mind some things to be avoided. If you have a friend who's good with this stuff or an engineer, get help. It will be an incredible tank. This will give you almost unlimited bragging rights ;) , not to mention possibly the best house/tank on mfk

Reactions: amazontank
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store