May 23, 2024
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
5 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I woke up yesterday to find a lump with a white tip on the face of my five year old fire eel. I don’t see any other bumps on his body and haven’t seen one like this before. There is no redness in the affected area but his slime coat is clearly disturbed. The swollen or lifted area is about the size of a dime and is perfectly circular while the white dot is perfectly center to this area and is about 1cm in circumference. It does not seem to be growing but is not shrinking either. There have been no recent changes in diet or concerns with water quality. Any information or advice on what it is he’s dealing with and how to treat it would be welcomed and appreciated.

IMG_7935.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 4.49.26 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 4.49.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 4.49.54 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 4.50.05 PM.png

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
The spot itself look like it’s related to an injury. Digging around these fish can occasionally injure themselves, though aggression can also be a concern. It should heal up fine, but if it starts to look worse, an antibiotic can help.
ATM I’d be concerned about the 5 ppm nitrite - that would indicate the aquarium is uncycled, and therefore toxic to the inhabitants. When was it set up?

aerthehedgehog

Feeder Fish
May 23, 2024
Welcome to the forum!
The spot itself look like it’s related to an injury. Digging around these fish can occasionally injure themselves, though aggression can also be a concern. It should heal up fine, but if it starts to look worse, an antibiotic can help.
ATM I’d be concerned about the 5 ppm nitrite - that would indicate the aquarium is uncycled, and therefore toxic to the inhabitants. When was it set up?
This tank was set up over 2 years ago, have always had issues with nitrates in all my years of fish keeping, 5 ppm has seemed to be the lowest I can get them. Have tried ensuring I am not overfeeding, weekly 30% water changes (even post 70% water change nitrates are still not 0), extra "nitrate filter" pads added to my larger filter, any suggestions beyond that?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I woke up yesterday to find a lump with a white tip on the face of my five year old fire eel. I don’t see any other bumps on his body and haven’t seen one like this before. There is no redness in the affected area but his slime coat is clearly disturbed. The swollen or lifted area is about the size of a dime and is perfectly circular while the white dot is perfectly center to this area and is about 1cm in circumference. It does not seem to be growing but is not shrinking either. There have been no recent changes in diet or concerns with water quality. Any information or advice on what it is he’s dealing with and how to treat it would be welcomed and appreciated.

View attachment 1542925

View attachment 1542926

View attachment 1542927

View attachment 1542928

View attachment 1542929
Welcome aboard
Nice looking fire eel.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The concerning 5ppm was about nitrite (not nitrate) which should always be zero in a cycled tank.
5ppm nitrate is good. For some of us, the tap water comes at that level or even higher from the fosset. The lower the better, but 5ppm is low and good.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
This tank was set up over 2 years ago, have always had issues with nitrates in all my years of fish keeping, 5 ppm has seemed to be the lowest I can get them. Have tried ensuring I am not overfeeding, weekly 30% water changes (even post 70% water change nitrates are still not 0), extra "nitrate filter" pads added to my larger filter, any suggestions beyond that?
If nitrates, you have nothing to worry about. As close to 0 as possible is best, but the goal is at least under 20.
As F FJB mentioned, the worry was that the initial post said nitrite was at that level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store