50G planted tank setup journal

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Since my old planted tank i recently setup seems to be doing well, and i was bored with my paludarium i decide to buy a new tank thats approximately 50G (36" x 18" x 18") and start a 2nd planted tank...

ATM I havent quite decided on what type of scape i want to create, but wanted to start a thread first to keep track of my progress similar to my last planted tank thread...

So to start off with just a pic of the tank being emptied after a test fill for now... Although will add pics as over the next few days as i start adding stuff to the tank...

Any ideas or thoughts on which direction i should take are welcome, since at present i'm debating between an iwagami tank, or maybe some type of forrest type layout, although other ideas are always welcome...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1354373936.375660.jpg

Reactions: PufferCorps

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ True, they can and do look good, might be worth adding to the list of ideas :)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
So went and did some shopping yesterday, picked up two 9L bags of ADA Amazonia large grain soil to start off with and a set of 4 lamp T5HO lighting...

The lighting and 2 bags of dirt...
IMG_8581.jpg

Quick pic of the tank after marking it up ready to be aquascaped...
IMG_8582.jpg

Quick pic of the tank after adding the first inch of dirt to create the base layer...
IMG_8584.JPG

Now i just have to decide on the direction i want to take this tank in... basically going to start it off as a Crystal Red Shrimp tank and try to build a large colony of shrimp before deciding if and what fish to keep...

Although i have to say the direction to take with this tank has got me some what stumped... still can't decide if i want to go iwagami or more of a forrest looking type tank similar to one of the tanks pictured below...

Aquascape.jpeg

ada2010.jpg

This tank i like quite a lot, although trying to find driftwood like in the picture will be tricky to say the least...
IAPLC-2009-ADA-Contest-2009-World-Ranking-17.jpg

Or even something like this with a tree kinda design...
aquascape.jpg

So now just gotta go out and pick up the filters, and possibly some glass intake and output tubes along with a heater and a few other items and i should be set and ready to scape this tank... at least once i find all the right pieces of materials that is...

IMG_8581.jpg

IMG_8582.jpg

IMG_8584.JPG

ada2010.jpg

IAPLC-2009-ADA-Contest-2009-World-Ranking-17.jpg

aquascape.jpg

Aquascape.jpeg

Reactions: Mbielek

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Went out and did a bit more shopping for the new tank today...

IMG_8593.jpg

IMG_8586.JPG

IMG_8594.JPG

So now just got a few more things to pick up and then i should be ready to start to focusing on designing the tank layout setup...

IMG_8593.jpg

IMG_8586.JPG

IMG_8594.JPG

felix453

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
new york
Im doing something similar with my 20 gallon aquarium, though a little bit on a budget! Best of luck with the design

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Im doing something similar with my 20 gallon aquarium, though a little bit on a budget! Best of luck with the design

Actually i've been doing okay so far price wise and kept it all reasonably cheap...

So far i would say i've spent approximately in USD:

Tank $90
4 lamp T5-HO Lights $90
Eden 522 Filter $100
Glass pipes $25.5
Drop checker $7.5
White background $free
2 pounds Bio ceramics $5
2X ADA 9L amazonia soil $41

For a total of: $359

All thats left to buy is a Co2 kit and the deco / plants and i'll be ready to go...

Although i do realize that part can quickly add up as well :)

felix453

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
new york
Ill stay tuned, your last planted tank thread was pretty cool

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Thanks :)

And i'm happy to say i think i've decided on the direction i want to take this tank, althogh trying to find the right piece(s) of driftwood might take a little while...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Over the last week went out got a few more items and stuck on the white background on the tank...

And in spirit of keeping up with the price checklist:

Driftwood $32
Rocks: $57.7

Bringing the current total spent to $448.7 so far...

Anyway, here are two quick pics of the hardscape as it is right now... Still got few minor tweaks to make and i should be close to getting the tank ready for planting...

So any comments / suggestions welcome :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store