55 gal and Jack Dempsey's!

sleepyflight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Overstocking is all dependant upon size..... Most of the places I have around here besides the one local, I would be getting most of those fish around and inch to 1.5 and with the proper amount of cover/caves and what not I don't believe it to be overstocked at all. I did also mention that he WILL (we all have) get the sickness and be buying more tanks to SPREAD EVERYTHING OUT

buddah101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2005
Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania
sleepyflight said:
Overstocking is all dependant upon size..... Most of the places I have around here besides the one local, I would be getting most of those fish around and inch to 1.5 and with the proper amount of cover/caves and what not I don't believe it to be overstocked at all. I did also mention that he WILL (we all have) get the sickness and be buying more tanks to SPREAD EVERYTHING OUT
Very true. Might need a twelve step program of some sort after it is all said and done with! LOL!!

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
I don't think its very safe to assume everyone here has the automatic intent/desire to invest in more tanks and equipment. The thread-starter plainly looks like h/she wants something that will go in a 55g and no more.

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
jjst buy 6 jacks growhtme till u can sex them trade rest in for store credit and get free can or bag of food.

TacoLoco7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2020
55 gallon should be able to house two Dempseys for life. As far as aggression goes I would have to say that it all depends on the attitude of the fish you get. I have owned some Depmseys that were so peacefull that they were able to live with kissing gouramis and angelfish. Others I have owned were very territorial and were best suited alone.
I seem to have a peaceful female. I have one that is 7 inches with 5 discus and a rubberlip place in my 55. It may be overstocked , but I keep up with my maintenance. All are beautiful active fish.

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Good luck finding them??? how could you not? I say get a pair of Dempseys, Texans, Green Terrors, and some Red Devils. Why not....you'll see some different temperments/attitudes and by the time they are growing well you too will have the sickness and be buying more tanks and you can spread them out :drool: And then you will have more tanks again and you can get rarer and even more hot stuff :shakehead Soon you wont' be able to hear yourself think. Pumps, air, flowing water, ITS TAKING OVER MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! :22_yikes: But the other guys are right....lotta nice tank mates for dempseys that are speckled looking that you'd prolly like.
Have you been following me??

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I consider a 55 gal only a grow out tank for JDs, once they hit 5.5" I would move them to a larger tank.
I have had males hit over 10", way to much fish for a 55.
I have also spent time with them in nature and watched mature males defend territories the equivalent of about 250 gallons.
Below a video of the space they live in, in nature.
Eden2

Reactions: LDPatton
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store