55 gal stocking advice/ suggestions.

Frode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2018
This is my first post so I apologise I'm posting in the wrong place.

I've recently swapped my 15gallon tank for another 55 and I am moving all of the fish from my bedroom tank (salvini, convict, firemouth, albino bn, a medusa plec and a school of Colombian tetras *all of the cichlids are currently 2-3 inches and so far so good*) into the new tank once it has cycled. That leaves me with an empty 55 in my bedroom and I'm thinking more towards keeping a single fish (wet pet) as I spend of time near the tank and I think the interaction would be cool.

As it is, the tank receives at least a 25% water change weekly and 50% once a month. I'm currently running 2 filters, the internal filter that came with the tank mainly for flow purposes and an rheum external canister filter.

I have done some scouting and am currently looking at possibly getting a grammodes or Cuban cichlids. But I am not dead set and would be interested to know what you guys think or if you have any other suggestions.

I also considered something like a red wolf fish but I'm looking for something that has a bit more character and personality I think.

Many thanks in advance!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
In my opinion, a 55 will eventually become a little bit tight for a male grammodes or Cuban. These are not very fast-growing fish, and if you got young ones, you would probably have a year at least before you needed to upgrade.
If you plan on having the fish in this tank for it's life, you might be better off with a male of slightly smaller species, or with a female grammode or cuban, which will stay smaller.
Smaller species suggestions:
H. Deppi
H Tamasopoensis (I have one, basically a mini-carpintis)
Centrarchus

You will probably get a few different opinions on this topic, everyone has a little different view on tank size. All you can do is take in everything and come to your own conclusion. Good luck

Reactions: Toiletcar

Frode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2018
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. The tank is not a standard 55. It's 40" x 16" footprint. Does that make it more suitable or not? I'm trying to get hold of a 180 from my mothers workplace, they no longer use it and it's in storage. My only issue at the moment is logistics and space. I have every intention of upgrading down the line.

Do you have any input regarding how active they are likely to be?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have a feeling that as your other cichlids grow, you will need that extra 55 to use, when they need separation from each other.
Those cichlids together in a 55 will easily overwhelm it in time, and conflict almost a given.
That said i have kept both grammodes and tetracanthus, and agree a 55 would work to house a female of either species, but too small for a male.
female tetracanthus below

female grammodes.

I found for keeping pairs, a100+ gallon tank is probably minimal for a mated pair alone of either tetracanthus or grammodes to allow enough space to quell male- female aggression.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hmm. The tradeoff is probably a little better than a standard 55 because of the width, but I still wouldn't keep a fish larger than 8" or so in there for life. If your serious about upgrading in the near future and will be able to, I'd say get one and grow it out in the 55 for a while.
I have kept an adult male Cuban in the past, found him to be a great fish. Very active, begged for food, wasn't super aggressive to tankmates but could hold his own. Haven't kept an adult grammodes, would like to though. I have read they are shy until they are adults.
Another similar fish that I have kept is Istlanum. Found them to be a very active species, Nice looking too and not shy. Get about the same size as grammodes.
tetracanthus
DSC_0448.JPG

istlanum
DSC_0454.JPG

9-iloveimg-converted.jpg

Frode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2018
Awesome, thanks both!

I'll play it by ear for a while to see what happens with my trio. It's going to be at least a month before I could even consider getting anything. I haven't started the cycle of the new tank yet.

There is some territorial aggression in the current tank, but no fish directly targets one of the others except to chase them away.

When setting up the new tank would it be best to set up territories like I have currently, or should I try to keep it more 'open plan'? I have a contingency plan in place if it doesn't work out anyway. But I like the diversity that I have at the moment

convict4life

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2012
australia
Grab some filter media out of the filters you have,put it in the new filters along with some substrate throw that in the tank no need for the cycle.

Reactions: tlindsey

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Not sure if a grammodes is a the right choice if you are looking for personality.
H. Deppi would work, probably could do a pair since they get 6” full grown.
Some other ideas-female nic or neets.

Reactions: Gourami Swami
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store