Aug 13, 2007
SoCal
poor little fella...i think i need a femal jack dempsey

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
Well get a bigger tank and add two small Senegal bichirs.

cichlidsguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
SoCal
yea i am trying to save some money for that buddy i am hoping by the end of this month i do get a new tank

wataugachicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Charlotte, NC
cichlidsguy;1141423; said:
thanks man.

I heard overstocking can decrease aggression issues????

Also your suggestions are welcomed,but would you really have a tank with just one fish????that sounds boring i know you would advise this but seriously i doubt even you would keep a jd by himself right...
i was maybe hoping of adding more cichlids instead of decreasing my tank???
that theory works very well with african cichlids, but new world ones just get mad and mean when they are crowded and fight harder for their territories.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
cichlidsguy;1141493; said:
yea i think my jd are both males and since its just them and a pleco the bigg one spents his day chasing the little one while the little one spents its day wondering if he is going to get killed.....

thats another reason why i wanted to add more fish because i hate seeing this jd at the top of the tank in a corner sometimes it seems like he wont eat...?
If there are already aggresion problems at their current size I would choose one of them and get rid of the other. If you did this AND got rid of the pleco you would have more options on what to put in the tank.

cichlidsguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
SoCal
sandtiger;1141795; said:
If there are already aggresion problems at their current size I would choose one of them and get rid of the other. If you did this AND got rid of the pleco you would have more options on what to put in the tank.

okay so lets talk about that lets say i do get rid of one of my jacks and the pleco. would i be able to add a green terror a firemouth and a jewel cichlid???????

BTW: check my other thread about the two jacks there is a picture of one of them can you please ID him/or her Thank you

cichlidsguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
SoCal
wataugachicken;1141773; said:
that theory works very well with african cichlids, but new world ones just get mad and mean when they are crowded and fight harder for their territories.

ohh okay it only works with african cichlids got it...

thanks

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
cichlidsguy;1141942; said:
okay so lets talk about that lets say i do get rid of one of my jacks and the pleco. would i be able to add a green terror a firemouth and a jewel cichlid???????

BTW: check my other thread about the two jacks there is a picture of one of them can you please ID him/or her Thank you
If you kept the less aggresive Jack you may be able to put a firemouth and other mid size cichlid in there, perhaps a jewel but you may still have aggresion problems. If it were me I would try a female convict (because they stay smaller), firemouth and the Jack with lots of rock work and caves.

cichlidsguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
SoCal
i'll think about that thank you so much sandtiger

soggysandwich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
wataugachicken;1141773; said:
you hit the nail right on the head

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store