55 planted

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
You should definately figure out what your lighting is. Some plants require a high w/g ratio and others require low lighting. That will help decide what kind of plants that you can keep.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
One this is not going to be cheap at all! I have a few friends who have started there planted aquariums and they have a 20 gallon and a 30 gallon tall tank and the friend Witt the 20 has spent well over $350 on there's and the other has spent well over $500 on there's. You will need a CO2 system, a high lighting system (depending on the plants you want), and various chemicals and soil to even get started. For you stock you can have anything that moves slowly or is not a big fish, for example discus may get big but the are peaceful slow moving fish, or you could go with tetras and shrimp or you could go with both. You would not want any cichlids that move around to much and get to big, this will mess up your landscape and most likely tare it up. My suggestion is do more research on the subject and find out what stock you want, then start saving and planning.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
For a 55g planted?

http://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-4x54W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52305p.htm

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AQUATEK-CO2-...706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ba7bf1da

There's your lights and 90% of your co2 setup for under 200$. You don't need any fancy substrate (people say you do... you don't), just grab root tabs if you have any root-feeder plants (like Swords).
The light looks fine but the co2 regulator is too small for a 55. And soil is needed for a lot of the more desirable plants but if you just want plants that don't need it then I think it'll be fine

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
The light looks fine but the co2 regulator is too small for a 55. And soil is needed for a lot of the more desirable plants but if you just want plants that don't need it then I think it'll be fine

That regulator is in no way too small for a 55g, what makes you say that? Additionally, what is a 'more desirable' plant that won't grow in inert sand?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store