55g stocking options

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I like to get right in with a net, some species just don't seem to end up in a trap. You may get lucky and find some sticklebacks. If you don't already have it, get Petersons Guide to the Freshwater Fishes of North America. Great identification book and also has range maps.

firefly1152

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2016
Wisconsin
I'm kind of afraid to go in the pond. It's about 8 feet deep at the center and muddy.

I walk in a little bit to put my trap where I want it, but that's about it. I got my boot stuck last year. Sunk right down...

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Lol...well at least you can walk the edges with a net. Usually most of the fish we're interested in are in shallow water anyway. I'm pretty hardcore about the fish keeping hobby, but not worth drowning for!

Reactions: firefly1152

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I get the finest mesh I can find. I have a few different ones I use. Walmart has a good selection of cheap nets. The only problem is the fine mesh nets usually have short handles, so I use hose clamps and attach a broom handle cut to a comfortable length

Reactions: firefly1152

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
In my opinion, anytime there's no ice on the water!! As far as when you'll get the most in your net it's probably June when the water temps are on the rise and a lot of species are spawning. This is when darters are easy to find...well, easier...they are never easy!!

firefly1152

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2016
Wisconsin
I set a minnow trap today and caught 8 brook stickleback! I was kinda bummed because I didn't get anymore cmm, but happy that I got a new species.

I acclimated them to my quarantine tank and Googled them. I think they're getting their own tank when quarantine is done. I guess I'll watch and see how aggressive they realy are.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Hey that's awesome!! I really love my brook sticklebacks, they get along great with my cmm and everybody else as far as that goes. They are 100% compatible with mudminnows and darters. They'll breed for ya too. Neat to watch their spawning behavior. Males build a nest out of plant debris. Males will get a dark emerald green when it's spawning time. I've even seen them turn black. So cool, I'm glad you got some!!

firefly1152

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2016
Wisconsin
I put the trap back in the pond, so I might end up with more than 8. Or is 8 OK for a school?

They're really cool fish, but I heard they go into attack mode when breeding? I'm afraid of ripped fins on my other fish :(

20170408_194630.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store