56 gal. Central American cichlid tank plant recommendations

jackdaniel

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2008
USA
* UPDATE *

The Giant Micro Sword (oxymoron?) is gone. It's been uprooted numerous times and I've found strands of it floating for the first two weeks, so I officially pulled it yesterday.

The Radican Sword and Amazon Sword are holding up very well. They have a few bites/tears in each, but nothing too bad. I've been adding Excel every few days until the bottle ran out last night. Do I need to keep that up? Will they thrive without it?

Lastly, I've noticed quite a bit of algar on the Radican and Amazon leaves. Is this normal? Why is this happening? I've reduced the light cycle from 10 to eight hours and hope that will help.

All feedback appreciated.

Thanks!

jackdaniel

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2008
USA
UPDATE:

The Radican is long gone; it was first to go. The Amazon lasted a bit longer, but it was torn to shreds so I removed the marger leaves and now have 20-30 small stalks growing out. I'm sure they'll get destroyed once they get larger.

I'm sticking to Java and Christmas mosses, and Java Fern moving forward.

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
both my planted tanks are also CA/SA cichlid tanks . . . I have had no problems keeping the following plants:

> Java ferns (lots of 'em)
> Anubias (ditto)
> Cryptocoryne (mostly in front, as ground cover)
> Amazon swords (usually as centerpiece)
> onion plants (fish won't eat 'em)

I have not had any luck with java moss, or with more delicate plants . . .

if you have driftwood or rockwork, you can tie the java ferns and anubias to them . . . you can also keep amazons and cryptocoryne in pots, which makes them harder to uproot

you absolutely can keep plants with cichlids . . . but not all plants, and there will still be some disruptions and trial-and-error . . .

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
My green terror tank has lots of Hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia' in it, he hasn't bothered them. He pulled out all the Rotala though, I think it was obstructing the path he wanted to swim through, plus I went on vacation for a week and he didn't get fed.

Anything that will attach to rocks/driftwood is more likely to last.

seds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
Canada
Sab_Fan;3311933; said:
both my planted tanks are also CA/SA cichlid tanks . . . I have had no problems keeping the following plants:

> Anubias (ditto)

I have found the same thing with moss... It doesn't work very well with big fish. You need to get it attatched before you put it in. BEFORE.

I second onion plants. Hornwort is only goldfish proof. Most other herbivores probably eat it. Tinfoil barbs do anyway...

Vilardz3190

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2011
Rockville Centre, NY
I feel like if you introduce plants to the fish when there young they have a less chance of uprooting( personal experience). I tried with larger ones as they were older. Not a chance

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Blake Chancery

Feeder Fish
Jun 24, 2017
I know you're not "supposed" to keep live plants with cichlids, but I want some green in my tank. I've heard Swords are great, as well as some Java Moss on the driftwood. I've got some large rocks and driftwood. Small gravel as a substrate, and 1 x 6700K plant light and 1 x Full Spectrum light.

What would you do?
Hornwort is great. It floats on the surface and grows fast. Perfect for central American biotope as well.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ

> Anubias (ditto)

if you have driftwood or rockwork, you can tie the java ferns and anubias to them . . . you can also keep amazons and cryptocoryne in pots, which makes them harder to uproot

you absolutely can keep plants with cichlids . . . but not all plants, and there will still be some disruptions and trial-and-error . . .

I've tried all of the above plants except Onion in my cichlid planted tank. Additionally, I grow several species of Bucephalandra which are cichlid proof. Buce is similar to Anubias in texture and light requirement, and can be attached to rock or driftwood. I find using Superglue to attach plants to rock easier. I also have Crypt in pots with marble on top to prevent digging.

There is trial and trial error what works mixing cichlid with plants, and expect more maintenance. Avoid plant eaters like Severum. But even carnivorous cichlid would nip off some leaves from time to time and I have to clean up the debris.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store