5ft sump tank + 3ft OHF = Perfect Wet/Dry Filtration for a 7 footer tank ??

Star-Flog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
SINGAPORE
Hi, I'm new here and need some advice on the tank setup.

Currently, I'm planning for a 7 footer tank. The tank dimension would be either 7x2x2 (~ 210 gallon) or 7x2.5x2(H) ~ 260 gallon, for my 9 Royal pleco, 5 silver dollars, 5 red hook and one silver arowana and thinking this size should be sufficient ? ;)

Additionally, due to its relatively high bio-load and therefore thinking to use combination of sump system and overhead filter as shown below.

Any inputs/comments would be appreciated. :asianarow

cougar579

Candiru
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Star-Flog said:
Hi, I'm new here and need some advice on the tank setup.

Currently, I'm planning for a 7 footer tank. The tank dimension would be either 7x2x2 (~ 210 gallon) or 7x2.5x2(H) ~ 260 gallon, for my 9 Royal pleco, 5 silver dollars, 5 red hook and one silver arowana and thinking this size should be sufficient ? ;)

Additionally, due to its relatively high bio-load and therefore thinking to use combination of sump system and overhead filter as shown below.

Any inputs/comments would be appreciated. :asianarow

I like your idea of flitration. A five foot tank(sump) under a seven foot tank will work great. In addition your over head filtration will be a big bonus. I wish some of the american manufactures would buy into the over head filtration on a large scale. We have them commercially for aquariums 30 gallons and under but thats about it.

Star-Flog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
SINGAPORE
Hi, thanks for the comment.

The fluidised bed filter into sump is a great idea. I would like to know what is the purpose of fluidised bed filter ?

cougar579

Candiru
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
It provides a huge surface area for biological and mechanical filtration.

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
Very efficient biological filtration - not so much mechanical, actually you need to have some additional form mechanical filtration before the FBF but you will have that anyway via your sump filter.

Basically the sand grains in the filter are the biological media, the water churns up the sand putting it in suspension which provides lots of water contact with the media and hence the beneficial bacteria. There is plenty of good info on the net of you do a search ;)

Star-Flog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
SINGAPORE
Thanks.
This should work well with sump filtration. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store