6/23/15 tigrinus, tiger fish, xingu bass, brazil orino, chuatsi, and more!

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Gymnothorax polyuranodon 11" big hand selected for high contrast yellow and black
These are pure freshwater morays for life. $125.00 each

Elopicthys bambusa - one of the largest top water predators in China, can reach 6 feet in the wild, weighing over 100 pounds. Not aggressive towards other fish it cannot swallow. Grows very fast. 2" babies $65.00 each. Super neat fish

Cichla melaniae F1 - captive bred xingu peacock bass 3.5"-4" big, will eat pellets
$125.00 each

Cichla cf. orinocensis - these came from Brazil as green peacock bass at 1" I thought they were kelberi, but not they appear to be more like orinocensis, which means they can possibly be the true Rio Negro Orinocensis. No guarantees on what they may be. super fat, dewormed, and ich free $100.00 each

Leporinus brunneus - super nice red and gold cigar like fish that can reach 14" plus, slightly aggressive. But I have some with other silver dollars and peacock bass with no problems very colorful fish $125.00 each
This fish is very new in the hobby, and probably 2nd time in the U.S.

Synaptoleamus latofasciatus- super red stripped pencil fish, rare in the hobby. $100.00 each
Lates niloticus "congo royal" 3" $100.00 each

Epinephelus lanceolatus - captive bred in brackish water- bumble bee groupers. Don't have to feel bad for keeping these, they're captive bred destined for the dinner table. So you're saving them from being eaten. 5" $100.00 each

Lutjanus argentimaculatus - Mangrove snappers 2" babies caught in fresh/brackish creeks. There are landlocked populations in Australia that breed in complete freshwater.
$35.00 each.

Scleropages leichardti - red spotted arowana - the rarer one
All spoken for at this time.

Hydrocynus goliath "Congo" big grow outs as season is over 7" $200.00 each
the giant tiger fish

Crenicichla zebrina 12" plus eating smelt $600.00
9" eating smelt $500.00
only 2 pieces. unsexed.

Crenicichla sp. "turcha" trout. Looks like C. johnanni, some speculate its a hybrid from the wild, some say its a new species. I have a group of 14 pcs, male and female, from 9-13" big., only the males have the spots on the body so far that I can tell.
$125.00 each

Hoplias aimara 10" $550.00 from Venezuela eats smelt

Pterophyllum scalarae - First time in the U.S. neon green - breeds true
only one breeder in the world now in Taiwan. I'll post pictures of the adults and of actual fish. These are platinum bodied, and top half is green colored. Blows any pinoy blue away. I've been on the waiting list for 2 years to get them, and here they are.
nickel to quarter sized body $100.00 each

Pterophyllum scalarae - Green devil - like the ones above, but these have a clear body and patches of metallic green on them instead, also from same breeder. First time in the U.S. also on waiting list and got them now. nickel to quarter sized $100.00 each.

Tachysurus ussuriensis - Russian submarine catfish 14" $200.00
super rare from Northern China/ Russian border. can reach 30" plus inches.

Monodactylus sabae - these can be kept in pure freshwater and have even been bred in freshwater 3"-4" tall body eating pellets $25.00 each

Hoplias lacerdae "green eye" 5" eats pellets and cut fish from Argentina wild
$100.00 each

Hoplyerythrinus unitaniatus - Argentina gold wolf, these will eat pellets, handle cold weather. 8-9" $100.00 each

Brachyplatystoma tigrinum - tigrinus catfish out of season, healthy grow outs
5" specimen x 2 $165.00
6" specimen x 1 $170.00

Siniperca chuatsi - true mandarin perch. These can reach 30" in the wild and will eat fish equal itself in length. 1" babies $30.00 each

Lates calcarifer - the barramundi perch 2" babies $15.00 each

Sphyraena barracuda - giant barracuda - caught in brackish river mouths. I've seen them about 1 mile up stream before, but will probably need to be kept in brackish or salt water. Very aggressive towards food. 5" $100.00 each

Maccullochella peelii - murray cod
A true cod, like a grouper, grows huge. appetite to match. Pure freshwater, but can live in brackish water as well. eats cut fish and even pellets. 6" $100.00

Platycephalus indicus - Indian lizard fish. only one piece 5" $75.00

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/business-policy-must-read.320235/

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Amazing list as always Wes! The Angels are real stunners I bet some of the MonsterFishKeepers here wind up dedicating a set up to these guys they really are that impressive. Plus the Gold Wolves, Sub Cat, Bambusa and the other amazing fish on the list it takes a lot of my self control not to go broke when ever a list you have goes up.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Awesome list and can it really be?.....Rio Negro Orinos?

cgibby

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
U.S.
those platycephalus seem interesting from the little bit of reading I did but when I looked up the common name though all I could find was synodus indicus which seemed to be a different species also were these caught in brackish water or way upstream? what are you keeping them in now? also could you post pics of the xingu and the crenicichla sp? may be interested in those

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Amazing list. I am highly interested in picking up a few of your siniperca chuatsi. Is there any way you could post a few pictures? What are they presently eating?

Email is incoming.

Last edited:

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store