600 and 280 gallon reset: getting back to my roots

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Hi again,
I too wish I was closer to where you are. Alas...different sides of the country.
Thanks for entertaining my questions and I guess it is as I suspected, more or less. It is nice to have large tanks to be able to have groups of large fish such as the Leporinus spp. I have had both fasciatus and brunneus, but as solo specimens. I don't have any now.
Regarding male/female for the dollars. The various genera and species of SD's mostly can all be sexed in the same way, although individual species do have some differences.
However, in general, the outer edge of the anal fin of males is "bilobed" (2 "lobes or tips", the first being about midway on the edge of the anal fin, the second being the actual tip of the fin, or 'hook'). In females, there is an absence of the first "lobe", such that the edge of the fin is almost completely straight. In the clip below (your photo), 2 females (top) and two males can be seen (bottom).
In Emperor Blue Hooks (your SD's) there is not much difference in coloration of the anal fin in the two genders, although in females it is more silver, while in males the silver is more faint. In contrast, in several other species, the anal fin of females is much more colorful. Further, in some dramatic cases such as with true Red Hooks ("Myloplus rubripinnins" - the quotes because it is now being re-interpreted as an unresolved complex of several species), females have a huge red Hook, whereas the anal fin of males is bilobed, much less long, and almost colorless.
Good luck with your cichlid grow-outs, pairings and with the SD sale. I do wish I could.

View attachment 1494591
Really appreciate the time you took to break it down for me. I appreciate the opportunity to learn new things about this hobby. Thank you.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Hello Everyone,

In an attempt to find ways to conserve water which is becoming a huge issue in Southern California, I’ve decided to downsize the stock on my 280 and plant heavily to create a tank that can get by with fewer water changes. I’ve decided to go with a lightly stocked setup as well and have some fish on order along with some fish I’ve just received.

this is a far cry from being biotope correct but will feature fish that’ll go well with the smaller CA species.

the tank is 280 gallons with dimensions of 80x34x24” with a 100 gallon sump. The sump is setup to create a refugium which I’ll end up planting with a soil based substrate and will be heavily planted. I plan to add some Gammarus scuds to this refugium and the main tank to help with organic plant based detritus removal as well as a source of tasty live food. My hope is that a colony establishes itself in the sump and provides a source of live food for the main tank. The plan is also to use the sump to help with nitrate control and will likely be something I get going later this year.

the tank is planted with large Kleiner Bar swords, some anubias, water sprite, and Pygmy swords. Lighting is provided by pendent style LED’s on a moderate-high setting for a 12 hour photo period with a 3.5 hr sunrise and sunset so that the light is at its most intense setting for only 5 hours out of the 12.

Livestock:

- Thorichthys Aureus
- Amatitlania Nanoluteus
- Xiphophorus Alvarezi
- wild greeen Sailfin molly: Poecilia Latippina (impossible to find Velifera or Petensis)
- Pseudochalceus Kyburzi. These are from Choco state Columbia but figured they’d be a great substitute for the local characins in Central America.
- Two leftover Pseudanos Vari which are SA Anastomids that do a great job of keeping the wood and rocks clean with their grazing.

The two livebearer species will not only fill the middle and top of the water column but will provide additional algae control and their offspring will serve as a rare treat for their tankmates. The Pseudochalceus Kyburzi will mimic the medium sized characins while adding a nice splash of color.

051BF3AF-9BB0-4803-AD5A-E6C562F5B92F.jpeg

4D4BA0C9-7D39-4BA7-B082-01FB2A145501.jpeg

436947C5-83ED-4F28-8592-A4B5F670521F.jpeg

0C6D016B-12AF-4F5D-BFC0-F89363F6C561.jpeg

3BB6702E-1254-485C-92D7-2E1431EC69AE.jpeg

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Really loving these tanks. You could have a really big group of areus in there. Also add another group of thorichthys and/or a cribroheros like robertsoni. Would make a colorful, active, peaceful CA set up w/ no aggression. Smaller species really thrive in big tanks.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Really loving these tanks. You could have a really big group of areus in there. Also add another group of thorichthys and/or a cribroheros like robertsoni. Would make a colorful, active, peaceful CA set up w/ no aggression. Smaller species really thrive in big tanks.
I have 9 aureus and 6 Nanoluteus coming along with a group of 10 X Alvarezi. Hoping they fill the tank up without overcrowding the tank. Trying to keep a light bioload but I’m realizing I’m already going pretty heavy. Plan is to reduce the need for water changes considerably. Hoping the refugium with a ton more plants helps with that with a dosing regime of dry ferts and a few bags of crushed coral in the sump to keep the mineral content of the water good enough to minimize the water changes.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
I have 9 aureus and 6 Nanoluteus coming along with a group of 10 X Alvarezi. Hoping they fill the tank up without overcrowding the tank. Trying to keep a light bioload but I’m realizing I’m already going pretty heavy. Plan is to reduce the need for water changes considerably. Hoping the refugium with a ton more plants helps with that with a dosing regime of dry ferts and a few bags of crushed coral in the sump to keep the mineral content of the water good enough to minimize the water changes.
Gotcha, that’s a lot of fish. Can’t wait to see them grow ?

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
mrrobxc mrrobxc Sorry if it has been stated already, but who manufactured the 600 gallon? I am looking to get a large tank made in the next couple years and yours looks really nice!

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
mrrobxc mrrobxc Sorry if it has been stated already, but who manufactured the 600 gallon? I am looking to get a large tank made in the next couple years and yours looks really nice!
I’m not sure since I got it second hand.

Reactions: tlindsey

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
hey - looking good as usual!

are they monitoring household water consumption? can you drill a well ?

one thing i’m grateful for here in seattle -

i’m sure you’ll get it dialed in -need some huge outdoor hydro ponic sumthin to run your dirty water through ??‍♂

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store