600g DIY plywood build

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
before you dump the sand in...I would test fill...

the tank looks great! good job! The overall bracing of the tank has me a bit worried though. 3/4 ply should alleviate my concerns but I worry about the seams cracking under the full water weight. I would definitely test fill without sand and wait a few days...nothing worse than filling a tank with fish and décor and seeing water outside the tank where it shouldn't be haha.

Homer Siped

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2015

the tank looks great! good job! The overall bracing of the tank has me a bit worried though. 3/4 ply should alleviate my concerns but I worry about the seams cracking under the full water weight. I would definitely test fill without sand and wait a few days...nothing worse than filling a tank with fish and décor and seeing water outside the tank where it shouldn't be haha.
Ha-ha when I finish mine, will be filled and ran for a couple weeks in my garage, deep blue sea incident could be BAD in house.

Reactions: MASTERTANKER

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
This build has really got me thinking about building a tank like this ,
have you gave any thought about the decorations that you will use .

I'm anxious to see it filled with water as are others I'm sure .
Haha thanks, if you do actually build one I would be happy to give a little more in depth specs to my build. As for decorations I think I am going to have a large background plants running down the sides with large stones holding them still so the ray can't tear them up. I am leaving the middle of the tank completely open to make my ray happy.

Glasscages shipped your glass?? I called them for a piece of half inch glass and said they didn't ship
That is very weird... I ordered my piece of glass not to long ago and they acted like they shipped everywhere. But yes they did ship and actually provided extremely cheap shipping if I drove a short distance to pick it up off one of their trucks. Do you live in the U.S?

Thanks, I actually think that the bracing on my tank is pretty strong. All the joints are double reinforced so its 1-1/2 thick in those places. I have read up on the strength of plywood, and am convinced that this thing will not bow or crack. It might not be the smartest to do it this way but hey, 600 gallons and a whole bunch of sand flooding my basement would make a great lessons learned post...kidding, but in all seriousness the initial water does not bother me one bit, I am more worried about a small leak a couple years down the road.

Homer Siped

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2015
Yes I live in Vermont, they had the lowest price of anyone, even priced the shipping from their website, called to order and then get told they don't ship :( I was all sorts of confused. I ended up getting it through a local supplier for $200. Still confused as I have heard of several folks that have had glass shipped

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Yes I live in Vermont, they had the lowest price of anyone, even priced the shipping from their website, called to order and then get told they don't ship :( I was all sorts of confused. I ended up getting it through a local supplier for $200. Still confused as I have heard of several folks that have had glass shipped
I am sorry to hear that, I just looked on their website and their delivery routes are actually very limited. Seems like if you live in the west or northern most states they don't have any delivery routes, glad to hear you were able to find glass elsewhere.

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Sand is rinsed and in the tank. It's sad how little 250 pounds of sad actually covered in a tank this size. Looks like I added almost nothing haha, oh well, I like how it looks and my sand bed is about 1.5inch depth which is what I was going for.IMG_6247.JPG IMG_6249.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looking good!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com