65 Gallon First Discus Tank?

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
Hey guys so I just recently set up a75 gallon tank (i had measured incorrectly previously) 48 in by 18 in by 20 in and would like to know how to stock it. I had really wanted Rio manacuparu or Rio Nanay angelfish (scalare) but had also wanted to start my first discus tank. The tank will be lightly to moderately planted and has a flourite gravel substrate. I will also be starting and angels or discus out as 2-3 inch juvies and will be doing 2 50 percent water changes a week. The plant will have driftwood and either seiryu stone or river rock. Temp will be 82 degrees and ph in the 7.4 range. The tank will have a tetra whisper 40i and two sponge filters meant for 90 gallons. The discus would be the first fish in the tank anything else will be added after. In this tank would it be possible to do either

Option 1
3 Rio Nanay or manacuparu angels or altums (looking for opinions on which would look better)
3 discus same strain or different strain (opinions on which would look better)

Option 2
6 discus
12 cardinal tetras

Option 3 (will be at 78-79)
4 of either angel
4 Bolivian rams
12 rummy nose
8 lemon tetras

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Have absolutely zero discus keeping experience, but id vote option 2.

I also have an empty 75 or two here and would not mind trying discus....

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
Instead of having 6 discus or cardnials? could I do 4 discus and 4 angels?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys so I just recently set up a75 gallon tank (i had measured incorrectly previously) 48 in by 18 in by 20 in and would like to know how to stock it. I had really wanted Rio manacuparu or Rio Nanay angelfish (scalare) but had also wanted to start my first discus tank. The tank will be lightly to moderately planted and has a flourite gravel substrate. I will also be starting and angels or discus out as 2-3 inch juvies and will be doing 2 50 percent water changes a week. The plant will have driftwood and either seiryu stone or river rock. Temp will be 82 degrees and ph in the 7.4 range. The tank will have a tetra whisper 40i and two sponge filters meant for 90 gallons. The discus would be the first fish in the tank anything else will be added after. In this tank would it be possible to do either

Option 1
3 Rio Nanay or manacuparu angels or altums (looking for opinions on which would look better)
3 discus same strain or different strain (opinions on which would look better)

Option 2
6 discus
12 cardinal tetras

Option 3 (will be at 78-79)
4 of either angel
4 Bolivian rams
12 rummy nose
8 lemon tetras
mrrobxc mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Option 2. You don’t want to keep discus in groups under 6. Youll have aggression issues

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store