6'x30"x18" botttom feeder tank stock idea

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
I have a 150gal wide tank that runs a 25gal drip system and a fx6. Im just setting this tank up from scratch and im in the planning stages while my new concrete 3d background is getting rinsed.
The scape is black sand with a bunch of driftwood and some river stones. Im thinking about stocking with
8 clown loaches
4 Pictus cats
2 ornate birchir
A Few smaller fancy plecos (galaxy/phantom)
A flagtail
Maybe a few clouded archers as well.
What do you all think? Id love some feedback since its been while since i planned out a community setup like this.

20200422_210217.jpg

20200422_210140.jpg

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I had friends have issues with ornate bichirs in particular and clown loaches. The bichirs, slowly over the course of about a year or two, more than halved the clown population as it grew quicker.
The stock is very nice if you like bottom dwelling fish. They may be a little sedentary or shy.
The archers should liven things up a bit though.

I personally am not a huge fan of flagtails. I found that for their size and longevity, they lack charisma and personality.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
I would be worried about the ornate bichirs going after the cats. I tried keeping bichirs with my cats and they could not even come close to swallowing them but they still tried, they also went after the barbels a lot. If you really want to try bichirs I would suggest a smaller species or instead of the bichirs go with a second species of catfish.
Flagtails are great imo, mine will follow me when i walk by the tank and will beg for food.

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
cockroach cockroach Iamfish Iamfish i appreciate the feedback, im not dead set on the ornates but i would like to have something else that might be similar.. i want to stay away from any eels though because i think they will end up in my overflows. I would switch to teugelsi birchirs if i could find them but they are pretty scarce.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
On an aesthetic note. I think you’re going to have a lot of empty space in the middle/top. Until your guys grow out even the bottom will look empty. Maybe get 1-2 more solid sized top fish. I know you said a flag tail but, in my experience, my flag tail just follows my other fish. if they’re all near the bottom that’s where he is, too.

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Blakewater Blakewater i agree, but the tank is only 18" deep. I might end up doing 4-6 clouded archers

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Try senegal bichirs instead. If your clown loaches are already relatively large then a senegal would have no hope of eating them. Also the most lively species :D

Reactions: Iamfish

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Hendre Hendre i currently have nothing. And iv never really cared for sens. They are just a bit too plain for me

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Captive bred delhezi also don't get stupendously big and look nicer imo. I just love the activity level of sens.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Agree about the Ornates, unless you're starting with larger Clowns you'll end up with a problematic size difference. As I also found out, many years ago, that size difference may not be an issue until the bichirs get really hungry. I had a mid-sized Ornate with about 8-10 clowns that had been in the tank for nearly a year with no issues, then I went away for a week over Christmas and came back to find 3-4 clowns missing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store