75 gallon Firemouth species only Tank

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
Hey all, picking up a used 75 Gallon with two 306 fluval canister filters here on Saturday and i wanted to ask after i am done cycling it i wanted to know how many firemouth cichlids should i put in, was thinking 3 females 1 male. plan on getting some drift wood and using the two clay pots that are coming with the pickup as well as finding another couple as well as line of site breaking plants such as java ferns and Tiger lilies in both red and green. any further suggestions? plan on feeding bug bites and some small live foods.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey all, picking up a used 75 Gallon with two 306 fluval canister filters here on Saturday and i wanted to ask after i am done cycling it i wanted to know how many firemouth cichlids should i put in, was thinking 3 females 1 male. plan on getting some drift wood and using the two clay pots that are coming with the pickup as well as finding another couple as well as line of site breaking plants such as java ferns and Tiger lilies in both red and green. any further suggestions? plan on feeding bug bites and some small live foods.

I agree with what you have stated .

Reactions: FiremouthGem

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
what sort of sword tails (think there are a few?) would you recommend and how many? i’m guessing putting them in first before the cichlids (after cycling of course)? or at the same time?

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
The way I would approach a 75gal thorichtys tank is to buy a group of juvies - prob 8 - with the plan to rehome 2-3 down the line after your tank hierarchy settles itself out. I'd make sure to have plenty of driftwood/rocks for sight breaks.
In regards to swordtails, any will do really as they are going to be your dither fish. It's whatever kind you like. Personally, I would try to pick up some wild types from Aquabid

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
The wild greens are underrated as far as swords go. Montezumas are really neat. Lots of different options. Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 has or had an amazing thorichthys setup with some of the prettiest swords I've ever seen. The sword males can get aggressive IME so make sure you've got plenty of females in there to spread the aggression.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I had eight Firemouth in a 6ft 125 for a while. The males each staked claim to an area, while the females stayed in a group. So make sure there is different areas for the males to claim.
As far as the Swords go with get just one male or many. I had three males in the 6ft 125 and they fought it out till there was only one left. I would get one male and 4 to 6 females.

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I'm trying this currently with 6 juvie (1 - 1.5") firemouth in a 80 gallon tank (same footprint as a 75).
I'm starting to think I should move them into my 180 gallon tank once they grow a bit and won't be eaten by the other fish.
Currently in the 80G tank 1 fish controls the entire bottom of the tank and all others are at the top half of the tank. Not sure what my ratio is between male and females but I think I'm a bit male heavy.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Good advice given in this thread so far. I would agree with everything posted... getting group of 8 or so FM's to start, so you can pick your sexes down the line. And the swordtails, yeah the males are feisty little buggers. I'd get one male and 5-6 females. They will form a little colony after a while if the FM's don't get all the fry.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here are some X mayae swords.

I like the natural varieties because they don't steal the show from th cichlids, like some line bred artificial colored varieties might.
Another choice might be salil fin mollies.

And I agree with either live bearer, one male and a number of females work well.
When I see gravid females, move them to a sump to give birth providing a continuous supply to the shoal.
A gravid female,

fry growing out in a sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store