75 gallon ideas

Rakeboy

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2020
Philippines
I have a 75 gallon tank. I what medium size cichlids. I am cannot decide whether an oscar or flowerhorn. Is there any medium size cichlids that is good for a 75 gallon tank except from what I already mention?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Oscar and flowerhorn are not what I would call mediunm-sized. To me, both will get a little large for a 75 gallon, except for a shortbody varient flowerhorn. Between the two, I would go with FH over the Oscar for that tank size. Even better would be a fish that stays in the 10" range, like a Macaw cichlid Nicaraguense. A group of smaller cichlids like amatitlania would make a nicer display imo, since you'd get to watch the fish interact. But if you really want a single fish, nothing wrong with that either.

Rakeboy

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2020
Philippines
Oscar and flowerhorn are not what I would call mediunm-sized. To me, both will get a little large for a 75 gallon, except for a shortbody varient flowerhorn. Between the two, I would go with FH over the Oscar for that tank size. Even better would be a fish that stays in the 10" range, like a Macaw cichlid Nicaraguense. A group of smaller cichlids like amatitlania would make a nicer display imo, since you'd get to watch the fish interact. But if you really want a single fish, nothing wrong with that either.
I see may be ill will go with a flowerhorn. the only issue for me with the flowerhorn is that they do not live longer compare to oscars. And most people says they are prone to internal issues.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Just read the Forums. Flowerhorns do seem to be Hexamita magnets. Oscar's can also pose the same problem.
If you are set on a solo wet pet, look at a Texas Cichlid, or the hybrid varieties, Red Texas Cichlid. Very hardy, durable cichlids.
Here's a pic of an unfaded Red Texas Cichlid I once kept. Traded him when he outgrew his 65 gal. tank. Just under eleven inches.
20210401_204343.jpg

Rakeboy

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2020
Philippines
Just read the Forums. Flowerhorns do seem to be Hexamita magnets. Oscar's can also pose the same problem.
If you are set on a solo wet pet, look at a Texas Cichlid, or the hybrid varieties, Red Texas Cichlid. Very hardy, durable cichlids.
Here's a pic of an unfaded Red Texas Cichlid I once kept. Traded him when he outgrew his 65 gal. tank. Just under eleven inches.
View attachment 1456612
Gorgeous! I hope i can find a Texas cichlid here in the Philippines. Most breeders here in my country are flowerhorn breeders. Are these Texas cichlids same deportment with the flowerhorn? super aggressive? banging the glass?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Texas Cichlids are easily bred, inexpensive and very common in the USA. On the other hand, Red Texas Cichlids are rather expensive.
Both are readily available on line if not found locally.

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Hey Rakeboy Rakeboy ,
IMO a Flowerhorn would work, especially a short body. An Oscar you could keep for about a year before you have to upgrade your tank size (they eat/grow like pigs). There are plenty of fish you could keep though. Here are some ideas. Green Terror, Jack Dempsey, Carpintis(Electric Blue), Severum, ect, ect. Or you could do pairs like Salvini, Convicts, Firemouths, Blue Acara. These are just a few Ideas. There are members here that might recommend even smaller cichlids like dwarf cichlids. Enjoy.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Green terror and jack dempsey are not as personable as Tex, Oscar, or flowerhorn, but they are just as intelligent and aggressive.

Smaller amphilophus species (like lyonsi) could probably live in therefor life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store