75 Gallon Stocking Help! Again

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
I had thought that I was done and set with a stocking for my now cycled 75-gallon tank but today I went out and impulse bought a green severum. Now the entire stocking plan has changed. I was thinking,
1 severum
2 angelfish
2 geophagous redhead tapajos or 4 keyhole cichlids
A school of fish if there is space.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If your intent is to have a breeding pair of angelfish, then get 6 and remove the unpaired ones. I also wouldn't stock both the angels and severum at the same time in a 75g. A territorial severum will wreck the angels, so pick which one you really like. I would have a much bigger tank like a 125g and keep 1 severum with 6 angles to help spread out aggression. 4 keyholes are better than 2 geophagus redheads. Redheads should be kept in harems of 6+ or if you're lucky to sex, 1 male and 3 females.

my preference
1 severum
4 keyhole
dithers like 10+ x black skirt tetras/columbian tetras

Reactions: dr exum

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
I thought severums were peaceful and arent severums and angelfish found together in the wild. Also, there were some other threads on this forum and others about tankmates for severums in a 75 and angelfish seemed to be the most reoccurring options. Also would lemon tetras be a suitable dither?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I thought severums were peaceful and arent severums and angelfish found together in the wild. Also, there were some other threads on this forum and others about tankmates for severums in a 75 and angelfish seemed to be the most reoccurring options. Also would lemon tetras be a suitable dither?
Severums are far from peaceful and can be very territorial especially against its own kind. If the other species cichlid numbers are high enough, then they won't bother the other species as much. Angels aren't so different in body shape so they can get picked on. You could try it, but you would still need a plan if the one angel picks on the other angel or if the severum decides to pick on the angels. The severum was the first cichlid in your tank. It's already claimed the whole tank.

lemons would be fine, get a school of 10+

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
Alright, ill try the angels but ill be ready to separate if needed. I also have lots of decor coming in for the tank soon so that should change up the territories.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Alright, ill try the angels but ill be ready to separate if needed. I also have lots of decor coming in for the tank soon so that should change up the territories.
If the decor is not tall (up to the water line), you will see a lot of hiding in the lower decoration. Marineland makes tall plastic bamboo leaves

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
Oh decor height shouldn't be a problem its manzanita branches that are as tall as the tank. Plus some val even if it gets eaten.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store