75 Gallon stocking

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
If your tank is heavily planted, and your bioload is low, you can have 0 nitrates. If there's just a few plants in there, it is likely that you tested wrong.

Back to your actual question though,

1 Jack Dempsey 2” max 10”
2 baby bristlenose 1.5” & 2” max 6” ea
6 yoyo loaches 2” max 6” ea
5 buenas aires tetras
5 red minor tetras

I would like to replace the tetras with 10-15 harlequin raspboras

and add

6-10 kuhli loaches

and add

2- red rainbow cichlids or
1- electric blue ram or
1-electric blue jack dempsey

Any suggestions? I understand at some point I may have to move the loaches if any of the cichlids become too aggressive.
This tank may be over stocked as the fish grow to their full size.
As far as compatibility goes, imo I wouldn't do the electric blue ram because they don't get large enough. I believe the JD will kill it.
The EBJD may work if you get one much larger than your JD, because EBJDs are apparently much less aggressive than the average JD. If your current JD is female, that'll probably work in your favor too, but then you'll have to deal with potential breeding behavior. Which I would be excited about, but not everyone wants.
I know nothing about the red rainbows other than what I found online in the last few minutes and it seems like they might be too docile for your JD, but if you get two and they breed, they might get a little more spunk guarding their territories. Idk. Google makes them sound like angel fish level of aggression. Hopefully someone with more experience can jump in here.

All that said, some people get JDs that are extremely docile, and some are extremely aggressive. It all depends on your individual fish.

Stan is right though. Regardless of your JD aggression level, food is good and those rasporas will be food.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Rainbows are very peaceful as far as central Americans go,possibly a bit to easy going to cohabit with a jd in a 75.
Having said that there are many variables and to prodict a possible outcome is not always straight forward. You may have a very easy going female jd that will live quite happily with your rainbows.
Law of averages would suggest otherwise.
A male jd would defend a territory of around 200 gallons in all directions in nature. Expecting one to play nice in 75 gallons, although not unheard of is still unlikely.
If you rehome the jd, then a few rainbow cichlids could do well and tolerate a much wider range of tank mates.

Reactions: bobblehead27

Kimanngordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2019
Puerto Rico
Rainbows are very peaceful as far as central Americans go,possibly a bit to easy going to cohabit with a jd in a 75.
Having said that there are many variables and to prodict a possible outcome is not always straight forward. You may have a very easy going female jd that will live quite happily with your rainbows.
A male jd would defend a territory of around 200 gallons in all directions in nature. Expecting one to play nice in 75 gallons, although not unheard of is still unlikely.
If you rehome the jd, then a few rainbow cichlids could do well and tolerate a much wider range of tank mates.
If your tank is heavily planted, and your bioload is low, you can have 0 nitrates. If there's just a few plants in there, it is likely that you tested wrong.

Back to your actual question though,

This tank may be over stocked as the fish grow to their full size.
As far as compatibility goes, imo I wouldn't do the electric blue ram because they don't get large enough. I believe the JD will kill it.
The EBJD may work if you get one much larger than your JD, because EBJDs are apparently much less aggressive than the average JD. If your current JD is female, that'll probably work in your favor too, but then you'll have to deal with potential breeding behavior. Which I would be excited about, but not everyone wants.
I know nothing about the red rainbows other than what I found online in the last few minutes and it seems like they might be too docile for your JD, but if you get two and they breed, they might get a little more spunk guarding their territories. Idk. Google makes them sound like angel fish level of aggression. Hopefully someone with more experience can jump in here.

All that said, some people get JDs that are extremely docile, and some are extremely aggressive. It all depends on your individual fish.

Stan is right though. Regardless of your JD aggression level, food is good and those rasporas will be food.
Jd will more than likely eat rasboras. I would be careful keeping a jd with anything under 2 inches.
Great, thank you. An colorful schooling upper tank fish su

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
On your stocking at adult size your JD can eat all species you mentioned except for Electric Dempsey and Rainbow Cichlids. I have a 75 gallon and every time I did multiple cichlids I would eventually have conflict with someone being picked on so I stuck with one cichlid in it to lower stress levels.

Reactions: tlindsey

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Great, thank you. An colorful schooling upper tank fish su
If you leave out the jd and go with the rainbows, I would suggest live bearers. Mainly as they are central american and I like to keep things geographically matched to some degree.
If that doesn't bother you then most hardy tropicals that are peaceful, don't have very specific needs and grow above 1.5 inches should work.

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I think mollies are naturally found with JDs so some of the larger ones might work. Plus any babies are free JD food. Convict cichlids tend to work with JD or firemouths

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Mollies like poecila sphenops and poecila Mexicana (spelling may be off from memory) can be found in the wild with jds.
Also live bearers from the genus Gambusia.
Other cichlids that can be found with jds are thorichthys meeki, helleri and pasionis, cryptoheros cutteri and spilerus, Veija melanura, bifasciata and fenestratus.
There are many more. However I think you could be asking for trouble adding another cichlid species to a 75 with your existing jd.

Kimanngordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2019
Puerto Rico
On your stocking at adult size your JD can eat all species you mentioned except for Electric Dempsey and Rainbow Cichlids. I have a 75 gallon and every time I did multiple cichlids I would eventually have conflict with someone being picked on so I stuck with one cichlid in it to lower stress levels.
Thank you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store