75 gallon tank stand

Sesamechicken3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2019
I found a coffee table on Craigslist that will fit a 75 gallon tank on it, my question is whether or not the table will be strong enough to hold a 75 gallon(approx 1000lbs)F734C9F4-2026-44A0-84DD-1AEF5381A99D.png

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It looks to be a sturdy little table which was designed to have, well, coffee mugs and magazines on, and maybe put your feet on whilst watching tele.

We don't know how old it is, what wood it's made of, whether it was botched together by Fred in his shed or made by a craftsman out of quality materials and strong joints.

What i'm saying is, coffee mugs, magazines and feet are a different kettle of fish to an extremely heavy and potentially damaging aquarium. It's a difficult call for anyone to say with any degree of certainty.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
+1 to that.

Without a good knowledge of the joinery used I wouldn't risk it. It'd be simple enough to build a similar stand, that you know is safe.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
These things are usually built with fast set interior glue. It comes apart under humidity.
So structure is only part of the problem.

And structure IS a problem. Look at the bottom and how many feet does it have? 4 or maybe 5?

Minimum is 6 feet and you really want 8 on a 75.

My 75 long sits on 8 and it's OK, but I wish for 2 more to balance floor pressure.

I do think it could be reinforced and well sealed, and work, but if you don't understand structures it would save grief to have help.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
At a min I'd say the two panels with door hinges must act as legs, so must have 4 feet below. 2 per panel.

You can turn it over, scrape out all the corners with a corner chisel and over-glue it all with waterproof glue.

We're starting to talk about some work here.

It could also use a good touchup stain job and a couple coats of clear.
that will help keep the veneer from peeling off the top.
The real wood is probably only 0.01" thick.

Sesamechicken3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2019
Yeah, didn’t really think it would work, I was just hoping for a deal.
Gonna just build one out of 2x4s instead,
Anyone have any tips for a wood-working newb?

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Make sure everything is square where you join it. Most store-cut boards should be relatively straight,and be sure to use screws and glue!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store