75 Gallon Turtle Tank: Sump vs Canister(s)

Randall_Vee

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2016
Hey guys,

I wanted to get some opinions on filtration for a 75 gallon soft shell turtle tank. I know that softshells, and turtles in general, have high bioloads so I figured that I would see what everyone thought would be best option for filtration on this tank. I currently have a Sun Sun 304b on my 75 gallon and the 40 gallon the soft shell currently lives in has a 303b on it.

While I wouldn't mind running both canister filters on the 75 gallon tank to help keep everything clean, I am not too keen on how cumbersome it is to maintain and work on canister filters. I would much rather just deal with one filtration setup and be done. Which leads to possibly doing a sump, now this admittedly this would be my first foray into doing a sump - which makes me slightly nervous. Also, I am not too keen on drilling out my tank. I have an extra 30 gallon laying around which I would use for the sump so that is a bonus for this option.

With all of this in mind, which option will manage the bio-load more effectively and efficiently. While I would love to have more convenience in my filtration if effectively managing the bioload requires I have to deal with the canisters then I am fine with it. Any input or information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Reactions: tlindsey

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I agree with celebrist, remove the organic matter before it has a chance to break down into nitrates. So I would recommend what ever is easiest to maintain. I use sumps exclusively any more because, like you. I found that canister maintenance is a headache and I clean my sumps more often than I used to clean my canister filters. I have always liked HOB for the same reason... simple, east to get to maintenance.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with what was stated above a sump would definitely be the way to go along with weekly water changes.

Randall_Vee

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2016
Thanks guys for the input,

So i'm curious - whats the difference between building a simple sump like what King of DIY does as opposed to doing something like a refugium style sump? Is there any performance difference?

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
There is no possible way you will be able to keep any fish alive in your tank if your sump doesn't have at least 6 baffles!!!

LOL!!!!! :ROFL: I prefer the simplest easiest to maintain sump design with as few baffles as possible to get the job done. I don't recall King of DIY specific sump design but I often find my self disagreeing with his design choices. Not that his choices, or anyone's choices, are necessarily bad... they just aren't the way I like to do it!

When I think refugium I envision a part of the sump designed to serve another purpose besides just filtering. I foresee using a portion of the sump for the 180g I am setting up as a grow out place for small plants. I believe a grow out compartment for fry is also a common use for a refugium. I don't think that a refugium is any better or worse than a straight simple sump as long as the sump with the refugium is still easy to maintain.

Complexity and designs don't enable easy access to pieces maintained frequently are the enemies of a good sump.

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
With turtles it all about mechanical filtration. Grab the floaters and get them out of the system. I use dual filter socks on a 180 red eared slider tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store