75 gallon west african?

nzeng1111

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
would
6x hemichromis moanda, 6x steatocranus tinanti, and 20x phenacogrammus interruptus be a feasible stocking for a 75 gallon?
Might also add one or two bn plecos or other scavengers and possibly a african butterflyfish or microctenopoma if i could find either although I could do without them.

I would definetely seperate out the cichlids if they get aggressive, but moanda is supposedly the most peaceful hemichromis by a wide margin.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
That is a lot of lower tank level attitude. If you take the size of the tank floor space, divide that by only 3 pairs of fish out of 12 fish. That means each fish gets 40cm x 45cm of territory. Where do the rest of the cichlids go when these fish go postal during courtship and rearing their fry. also, a single hemichromis spawn could be 150+ fry per pair.

I would more inclined to put in a pair of hemichromis and perhaps 4 streatocranus (hoping for 2 pairs and not 3M: 1F). The congos should be fine.

In addition to this, the jewels may not appreciate the stronger flow that the streatocranus love and congos don't mind.

Also, bear in mind, I am usually inclined to to stock on the side of more swimming space and more filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store