75 going on 180

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Thanks everyone! After I moved the sump to the basement I got what I'm calling a bacterial bloom in the water column. The water got real cloudy almost like milk the next day. Still cloudy but better. It's cycled but I am weary to add anyone atm..

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Probably a bloom....all new sand and decor ?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Probably a bloom....all new sand and decor ?
Yeah. Ive had the real wood pieces for a long time was going to use them in the 75 but they were to big with the background. Even though this background is massive they fit in the 180. 2.5x tank so I guess that makes sense...lol. Tank was cycled it was just to loud with the sump under it, it even made me unhappy. So I figured to restore peace id put it in the basement which after all my salt water experience that wasn't the first basement sump ive run. This one didn't cause me to drill or tear open any walls though. Before there was the 180 in this spot there was a couch, under said couch was a vent that has been closed since we have lived here. Where the sump is is where we have always kept the reptiles and hasn't ever had a vent in there so winter has always been tricky with heating. So I took the vent out of the floor and shortened it up to warm that "room" in winter. I have insulation capping it off for summer a/c not needed in there. I was carful to not get anything in the sump when I moved it and I tried to keep all the media wet. I've put some black skirts in there about 4 days after the initial set up. I have been dosing microbacter7 for the entire time it was showing nitrate on day 3 and no ammonia after dosing on day 1. Still not showing any ammonia or nitrite. Nitrate is 10 I am hesitant to do a w/c or add anyone till it clears. Black skirts are fine but I don't want to upset anything more atm. I did add the fourth drawer back to my wet dry since I'm not under size constraint anymore. I filled that with lava rock as the third drawer was before so I now have....
Drawer1 mechanical
Drawer2 bio scrubbies - trickle
Drawer3 bio lava rock - trickle
Drawer4 bio lava rock - submerged
I do need to find some foam or mat to put in my mechanical stage though the water coming in is shredding my filter floss, I put one of the carbon mats in there to stop it and it works well. Ill post pics of sump later. Sorry its not the coolest one you or I have seen lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Diy like a mo fo baby lol. Maybe just a bloom from adding the lava rock. I get a bloom when ever i look at my bio too long so...

Funny i was wondering how the F dis he do alk of that in one day lol but having the vent in place probably was a life saver

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Diy like a mo fo baby lol. Maybe just a bloom from adding the lava rock. I get a bloom when ever i look at my bio too long so...

Funny i was wondering how the F dis he do alk of that in one day lol but having the vent in place probably was a life saver
Lol sure is DIY. That's what I was guessing too with the addition of more bio. As for the one day the hole being there was a bonus. Probably would have only added another hour or so.
This sump is dope, i need to get a big water tub like this, or a 60g drum :)
Pretty cool diy:)
Lol again. I was kind if embarrassed by it really. If this was my reefing buddies theyd have disowned me asap. Bunch of stuck up (word for when you poke yourself with a pin). Lol. Jk they were pretty cool. Sooooo many really beautiful sumps and set up here though.
Glad you guys like it.
Seems to be working great too. Last pic if you can't tell is the flow through the holes I drilled. Like perfect every hole has a steady stream through it all the way down. Water sits at about a 1/4" in each drawer. I'm happy! Just gotta set up my heated automatic water change on it next.

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store