750 gallon stocking ideas

mareshow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
well I somehow managed to stumble into a deal on a 750 gallon tank, dimensions are 10ftx4ftx2.5 ft. I have a pair of BD rays on hold already but not really sure how to stock this tank. I think I want one more female ray, (boesemani if I had a choice or tiger if I could dream) but as far as swimming above them I'm not sure. I was thinking maybe an Arowana community but my wife doesn't really like that idea as she prefers "pretty fish" lol

So I'm looking for some suggestions as far as tank mates go for rays. I've thought of doing a South American bio tank with tetras, discus, and angels. given the size of the tank I think I'd be ok doing that. Other than that, not really sure so ideas?

Carter020108

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2018
I would do South American cichlids such as
Green terror
Jack dempsey
Electric blue jack Dempsey
Festae
blue acara
Yellow acara
Firemouth
Convict
Salvini
And do South American catfish such as
Red tail
Tiger shovelnose
Marble Achara
Redtail x tiger shovelnose
And a place near me can get albino pearl stingrays
Global fish co nj

Reactions: mareshow

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
An RTC wouldn’t do well with BD rays and would eventually outgrow the 750g they should be held to a minimum 1000g. A planted tank with lots of different kinds of wood and like 10-12 discus and the 2 BD ray would look awesome. Or if you want they may be a little to small but Ram cichlids look nice and can probably add some other semi aggressive cichlids with them

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
As you said, a South American Bio in that size would be awesome. Maybe densely plant that tank with low-medium light plants that don’t require co2 since I could imagine a setup that size would be expensive.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Id personally go with a group of myleus schumburgii "wide bar" or myleus rubripinna and an group of hoplarchus psittacus. There you have a nice SA-tank.
I agree with Tobias. Silver dollars are surprisingly amazing fish. I have always over looked them until just recently.

my wife says the same thing about having “pretty” fish.

the truth of the matter is, sure you can throw money at that tank and put discus in there, but one day those pretty discus will be pinned up against the glass and you will see the not so pretty parts of them. Along with most of the other pretty’s.

also anyone who has ever owned Rays, understands that once your ray is about 12” your not likely to have any live plants thriving. You can try to anchor them down with rocks, or tie them to driftwood, but when a ray is looking for food they will uproot and destroy your beautiful plants. Floating plants might work, depending on your filtration?...

But I’m no expert on discus or plants, you may find an occasional person who could make it work, but they would be the exception to the rule rather than a typical scenario. You can find lots of examples of people with pictures or YouTube videos with it happening, but long term 2-3 years from now things change.

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
If your wife is into pretty fish, then I'd suggest some bigger Geophagus species.

20200108_232506.jpg

Geophagus sveni (Parana)

20200108_232815.jpg

Geophagus winemilleri

Other than that I'd suggest Hoplarcus psittacus or Heros curare. Or widebar Myleus schomburgkii, but those definitely aren't as pretty/colorful as the rest.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
If your wife is into pretty fish, then I'd suggest some bigger Geophagus species.

View attachment 1411095

Geophagus sveni (Parana)

View attachment 1411096

Geophagus winemilleri

Other than that I'd suggest Hoplarcus psittacus or Heros curare. Or widebar Myleus schomburgkii, but those definitely aren't as pretty/colorful as the rest.
Ha great minds think alike.

Reactions: Leo Messi

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh

View attachment 1411095

Geophagus sveni (Parana)

View attachment 1411096

Geophagus winemilleri

But the key word here is bigger sized. The same batch of rays that you were going to be getting had 12 albino heckeli in with them and just got a report that none are left. They were about 3-4”. Rays chewed all their faces off. And they were just 6-8” pups.

but that is a nice idea, I think I would like to start growing out some sveni and or heckeli. Thanks for the inspiration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store