75gal tank setup help

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

According to this is understand it correctly I would want around 40-45 par at the substrate when doing plants to get medium light. Looking at graph on there it is hard to understand and I think 2-13w CFLs in 10.5" clamp lights would be enough but would I need more?? I don't think just 2 would cover entire tank as I will be putting a canopy on the tank probably. If someone knows more about the CFL bulbs and lighting please chime in so I can understand this stuff.

sgtreef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2013
Oklahoma
What part of OK you in?

I Will be setting up a 125 Gallon and pulling some Jungle Val's out, but you need light or they will die kind of quick.

I guess if not far away I can get you some Val when you are ready for them , plus will be thinning the Anubis soon in about a month also.

I bought two Filstars from Dr fosters , if you can get one ,get one the XL 3 would be good and was free shipping also.

Only filter I have is a spare Filstar in case one of mine goes out.

Jeff

koh the face stealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Arizona
I've been reading about people using potting soil as sort of a fertilizer for their plants. They put it in tank and it supposibly don't mess with water conditions.

I am wondering if I did this and capped it with my sand I have in tank would I have to cycle tank again or would I be able to just fill let run for alittle bit and then place my fish back in??? Also would doing this help with the fact I want to grow plants and only have sand in tank???

Also have read about nitrates or nitrites getting stuck in the sand in pockets and escaping and harming fish do I need to worry about this? If so would I still need to worry if did soil first?

Do I need to get something to keep sand stirred up depending on way I go???

Also what would be a good algea eater for tank as I am going to get about 4-6 more corys and they help keep bottom clean but what about my glass and also plant and things I add??

Also how will I know if I am overstocked since I am getting back into this and the aqvizor already sais I am overstocked??
There is plant soil made specifically for aquariums you can use. Potting soil sounds like a bad idea. I've never heard of anyone using that. Yes with sand you run the risk of air pockets getting trapped that can be released in the form of gas toxic to your fish and mixing soil or gravel with sand increases those risks. That can be avoided with regular stirring and siphoning.

As for overstocking I would say you aren't overstocked with two severums and 6 cories and a smaller species of pleco(bristlenose I would suggest as they are hardworkers). But when those two severums are full grown (maybe even before) you could have some problems with your water quality using only those two Aqueon filters. I would add a canister to accompany them and you would be perfect.

On another note I'd make sure to grow those cories out a bit before introduced. I recently tried to add some and he viewed them as food. I had to hand them over to my girlfriend to add to her corycat school. Sucks I really like cories too.

When I caught my severum with the cory half way in his mouth it was kind of funny and sad at the same time. I yelled at him and he looked at me as if he was confused, putting his fins up like a confused hand gesture "what, what?!? It's food. No? Fine." *spits cory out and shakes head at me then does a feed me dance*. Man I love my severum.

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
There is plant soil made specifically for aquariums you can use. Potting soil sounds like a bad idea. I've never heard of anyone using that. Yes with sand you run the risk of air pockets getting trapped that can be released in the form of gas toxic to your fish and mixing soil or gravel with sand increases those risks. That can be avoided with regular stirring and siphoning.

As for overstocking I would say you aren't overstocked with two severums and 6 cories and a smaller species of pleco(bristlenose I would suggest as they are hardworkers). But when those two severums are full grown (maybe even before) you could have some problems with your water quality using only those two Aqueon filters. I would add a canister to accompany them and you would be perfect.

On another note I'd make sure to grow those cories out a bit before introduced. I recently tried to add some and he viewed them as food. I had to hand them over to my girlfriend to add to her corycat school. Sucks I really like cories too.

When I caught my severum with the cory half way in his mouth it was kind of funny and sad at the same time. I yelled at him and he looked at me as if he was confused, putting his fins up like a confused hand gesture "what, what?!? It's food. No? Fine." *spits cory out and shakes head at me then does a feed me dance*. Man I love my severum.

My Severums are already about 8"s long and I have in tank with them 5 Zebra Danios 2 GBR's 3 died kid sad lol and now I have the 4 cory's and my sev's don't even look at the cory's.

As for the plant I picked up upon further looking I found it was water sprite so gotta look up info on it. Pretty sure they killed the java fern or just not able to grow it yet but well see. Like stated only seen my rams trying to eat the plants.

Also mine got that confused look all the time lol.

To help with keeping sand stirred up should I get some snail or something that sifts the sand alot?? I plan on putting more light on and adding more plants so eventually won't be able to get to all the sand.

koh the face stealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Arizona
Oh man.. I totally forgot about the rams and danios. I would say you are fully stocked too.

If it was my tank. I would remove the rams and get them their own tank. Then I would stock your 75 like this.
2 severums
8 cories
8 zebra danios
1 bristlenose pleco
And add a canister filter because the two severums alone are working on those undersized filters. I wish somebody would come along and really help you. I've only been keeping fish and reading up on this kind of stuff for 2 or 3 years now.

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store