770 Gallon Monster Setup

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Looking great as always, love the mix of fish great variety and they all look so good
Thanks Kevin!

Everytime I see that tank makes want to upgrade to a deeper tank. Looking for atleast 30" deep :D. Did you make that feeding ring? Looking for something exactly like that because a lot of the food I feed my guys float into my overflows! Oh and love your clowns they must be about 8"+?
I do wish the tank was a foot wider, but yeah, I really like the depth too.

You are right about the feeding ring. I made it from some tubing and some barbed fittings; it works really well. Every time a see a pellet get sucked into my overflow towers, I'm convinced an angel loses it's wings.

Love the update, thanks!
Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks Egon.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Holy mother of Jesus! This tank is small apartment itself! Great project! :) and you really calmed my nerves down about setting up huge tank on unleveled floor..if this beast stands, then my little basket will too :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jjb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Rowlett Texas
Iam doing a 700 as well ,,, just curious did you ever consider one of the newer pressurized filtration system with the new media they have now ,,,like seagate or auqau UV ultima II I keep going back and forth ,,, THEY really seem to good to be true ,,, never cleaning pads media or anything and the Smallest system handling 80 - 100lbs of fish starting at 600 bux pump included lol

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Holy mother of Jesus! This tank is small apartment itself! Great project! :) and you really calmed my nerves down about setting up huge tank on unleveled floor..if this beast stands, then my little basket will too :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks D.Wolf. The right shims can level any floor.

Iam doing a 700 as well ,,, just curious did you ever consider one of the newer pressurized filtration system with the new media they have now ,,,like seagate or auqau UV ultima II I keep going back and forth ,,, THEY really seem to good to be true ,,, never cleaning pads media or anything and the Smallest system handling 80 - 100lbs of fish starting at 600 bux pump included lol
Nice! Are you making a build thread? I would love to check it out (search function is still broken, so I can't search for your threads).

If I were starting from scratch, I think I would use a bead filter like you mention. Backflushing seems to be a breeze; not having to clean filter socks every week would be nice. The only cons I can think of:

1. No place to hide heaters without a sump.
2. Lose the benefit of surface skimming since I don't believe you can run overflows with a bead filter (There may be a away around this, but I don't know of one).

jjb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Rowlett Texas
I found another thread that had tones ad large aquariums using the ultima mine has the large on the back wall inside the tank built in center overflow with 4 2" holes /// I did plan on using the over flow to drain in my into 1 1.5 pipe ,,, I never even thought about not using the overflow,, is it a problem of the water not keeping up ?? Or is it something Iam over looking ? Thanks in advance for you're replies

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Nice update Alex. Your tank has been a huge inspiration for my current stocking.

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
A lot of good info in this thread. If you enjoyed the goldfish try throwing a koi in with the others. I got my first one to help clean up when I was pellet training an ATF and I've been keeping them ever since.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I found another thread that had tones ad large aquariums using the ultima mine has the large on the back wall inside the tank built in center overflow with 4 2" holes /// I did plan on using the over flow to drain in my into 1 1.5 pipe ,,, I never even thought about not using the overflow,, is it a problem of the water not keeping up ?? Or is it something Iam over looking ? Thanks in advance for you're replies
In regards to the overflow, I think you just need to make sure you have a full siphon to the pump if you are running a closed loop. If the drain is sucking any air, that's not good for the pump.

Nice update Alex. Your tank has been a huge inspiration for my current stocking.
Thanks man....I appreciate the kind words.

A lot of good info in this thread. If you enjoyed the goldfish try throwing a koi in with the others. I got my first one to help clean up when I was pellet training an ATF and I've been keeping them ever since.
Thanks raider. I like koi, but they get huge. My goal was to stock fish that stay ~12" or smaller.

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
To each his own, another reason why this is a great thread
...that being said, what about using a portable tank to heat w/ gas?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Why didn't I think about that? When I was a kid, my parents heated their pool with a gas heater, and my dad still talks about how cheap that thing was to run. It was small, too. Waist high, 2-3 feed wide, heated a HUGE pool. A little propane heater, you could probably get propane delivered ever couple weeks. Prolly alot cheaper than electricity where you're at, Al.
To each his own, another reason why this is a great thread
...that being said, what about using a portable tank to heat w/ gas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store