794 gallon ply tank build

Status
Not open for further replies.

tthanatoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
Cool build. It's good to see a new build underway it's been a little quiet around here the last little bit. I don't see why the 1/2 inch wouldn't work. Remember those glass calculators are for all glass tanks and there is a large safety factor added by having the plywood frame all around the viewing window.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Update time. I have managed to get some more time in on this venture.:)
This thing is as solid as a rock.
The first pic is again of the bottom plate but you can see it is fully screwed off now. Both into the side sheets and the internal supports.
IMG_1623.JPG

This pic is an end plate just to see how it has been screwed off. The front, bottom and back plate are also screwed off into the edges of the side plates.
IMG_1625.JPG

Top view. This shows the support braces from font to back and also the beams running the full length of the tank. Once it is fiberglassed and epoxy coated, I will cut acrylic lids to fit in the recesses.
IMG_1627.JPG

Last pic for now. Front view.It is starting to look like something now.:)
The internal supports have been doubled up throughout which has allowed for more screws to hold all the side plates.
She who must be obeyed has started to take a liking to it now and doesn't want me to cover the outside with fiberglass. She wants to keep it a timber finish so the outside will probably be sanded back and epoxy coated for protection. I will still fiberglass the inside including the support braces, applying fiberglass over the top and about an inch down the outsides for moisture reasons.
IMG_1635.JPG

That's it for now. I have a lot of filling and sanding ahead of me to get it ready for fiberglassing. Will update once more is done.:)

HarlanAshmore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne Ausralia
how do you plan to get the peice of glass in there?

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
HarlanAshmore;3259419; said:
how do you plan to get the peice of glass in there?
The tank will be layed faced down so the glass can come in from one side (Between the top support beam and end.) in an uprite position and proped against the bottom which will be upright at this stage. Then put the tank back upright. The glass will now be laying on the floor. I can now flip the glass back uprite ready for cleaning and sealing. I hope that makes sense.:)

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Great looking build so far mate.
12mm is a bit thin for a tank over 30" high but each to their own hey.
15mm would be better as large fish are capable of breaking glass especially 3' Arrows.
I would get a quote for 15mm as while you have a budget this is something you want to do right.
A 12mm window in a similar size and designed tank was broken in one of the threads I read on here.
I'll find you the tread mate, it has some great ideas you could use.
GL and keep going with this great tank mate.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
awesome! cant wait to see this progress :)

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Ramesh;3259694; said:
Great looking build so far mate.
12mm is a bit thin for a tank over 30" high but each to their own hey.
15mm would be better as large fish are capable of breaking glass especially 3' Arrows.
I would get a quote for 15mm as while you have a budget this is something you want to do right.
A 12mm window in a similar size and designed tank was broken in one of the threads I read on here.
I'll find you the tread mate, it has some great ideas you could use.
GL and keep going with this great tank mate.
Ramesh;3259843; said:
Yes, I will be going with the heavier thickness after a bit of research.:)
Thanks for the link. I was very interested how polyester resins were used without being covered over with an epoxy coating whilst having no bad effects on the fish. Goes against the accepted theory that polyester is not fish safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store