7'x12' 1400 Gallon Plywood Stingray Pond

kamilusoof

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2011
SriLanka
JohnG;5130667; said:
If your looking to do a wood one then make sure you get yourself a good chop saw. Second inspect every piece of wood. Made the mistake of just ordering a bunch of wood from homedepot and having them deliver it on the last pond, about 1/5 of it was unusable and half of it we had to make work.

You can also read my other DIY thread at http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394202

Doing this one the same way, only difference is going to be the sealers.
thnx
shd i use fibre glass sealers for my one or jst the normal silicone sealer

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
JohnG;5132110; said:
I am not using a silicone sealer for anything except sealing my windows to the pond, on the last build I used polyurethane resin, epoxy resin, and epoxy paint. On this one i am using Pond Shield and maybe some Max ACR, both of which are Epoxy Resins.
Are you going to fiberglass the corners on this one like the last one?
When building the walls, are you gluing and screwing the 2X4's together?
Same question with the plywood, glue and screw?

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
Egon;5133496; said:
Are you going to fiberglass the corners on this one like the last one?
When building the walls, are you gluing and screwing the 2X4's together?
Same question with the plywood, glue and screw?
Yes fiberglassing all the corners and joints in the wood.

I just screw the 2x4s together, no glue, same as on the last one. Same for the plywood.

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Johnny G, you are the man:headbang2. Your projects are insane :WHOA:.
You are living the dream and making us all look like nano fish keepers :banhim:. Nahh just fooling :D

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Very nice clean build, ive seen soo many ponds just tossed together, this one looks very clean and professional. How long did it take you to pick out the lumber? I spent a good hr picking out like 30 4x4s and didn't even get totally straight ones. Anywyas keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
Probably spent about an hour picking out all the 2x4s, didn't get all straight ones either. I just made sure and get ones that where good enough that I could pull them straight.

Finished putting the plywood in a few days ago and filled in all the screw holes with bondo to make the surface flat. Was difficult filling in all the screws with resin last time, especially on the walls.

Stuck waiting for the resins to arrive now, should have them all by Friday. Last time it took us almost a month to get to this point, wasn't expecting to do it in less than a week. Guess actually knowing what your doing and having decent wood really makes a difference.

DSC08298.JPG

DSC08300.JPG

DSC08304.JPG

DSC08307.JPG

DSC08310.JPG

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com