8 Goliath 5 Vittatus update log

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Imo, the trick to getting off live is the amount of feeders you give WHEN you feed live.

Back when I had ATF's, I started starving on day #2. Day#1 was 1-2 minnows per ATF.
If you feed small amounts, it gets their curiosity deeper.

I recommend starving for 3 weeks at the size you have. I would also add some type of peaceful tank mate that will eat the small amount of dried food offered daily (or no tank mate and just remove uneaten food after 20min).

The trick to getting off live food is in the Hand that Feeds :)

ekkhoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2014
malaysia
Update of my packs of GATF and VATF. Unfortunately 3 VATF have gone missing. Unable to locate their corpses. It will remain as a mystery.

Currently all of them are still doing fine together. GATF is growing slightly faster than VATF. Growth rate is around 0.6 inches per month. Don’t really know what’s their size now. My estimate for the largest GATF to be around 1 feet.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice pack there.

Reactions: ekkhoo

ekkhoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2014
malaysia
Imo, the trick to getting off live is the amount of feeders you give WHEN you feed live.

Back when I had ATF's, I started starving on day #2. Day#1 was 1-2 minnows per ATF.
If you feed small amounts, it gets their curiosity deeper.

I recommend starving for 3 weeks at the size you have. I would also add some type of peaceful tank mate that will eat the small amount of dried food offered daily (or no tank mate and just remove uneaten food after 20min).

The trick to getting off live food is in the Hand that Feeds :)

Thanks for the wonderful input! But I’ve given up on dead food, it’s just not working for me. Too many ATF died because of this. Some starve to dead, some being killed by others, some tried to jump out and knock to death.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Thanks for the wonderful input! But I’ve given up on dead food, it’s just not working for me. Too many ATF died because of this. Some starve to dead, some being killed by others, some tried to jump out and knock to death.
So what have you been feeding? Most people experience seems to consist of gatf being left behind in growth and then bullied usually to death. Which species seems more dominant in your care? They look good.

Reactions: ekkhoo

ekkhoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2014
malaysia
So what have you been feeding? Most people experience seems to consist of gatf being left behind in growth and then bullied usually to death. Which species seems more dominant in your care? They look good.
Thanks man! Currently feeding them African catfish. Sometimes tilapia when I need them to clean up the algae build up in my tank. I would say equally dominant for now. Maybe VATF being outnumbered that’s why being passive? But I had 5 VATF to begin with but now left two only. They are all pretty peaceful and quite respectful to each other atm. Growth rate wise, only the two largest GATF have noticeable slight faster growth rate. The rest of VATF and GATF had the same growth rate.

84A5360D-CD7D-4032-9946-2D5FD606A7F7.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store